Sechelt, British Columbia - 3/24 to 3/28

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sechelt, British Columbia - 3/24 to 3/28

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hello all, well this weekend we headed to Sechelt BC to dive with Porpoise Bay Charters. First, the resort and hosts were absolutely awesome. Also, the group was excellent as always (Underwater Sports Olympia). Gdog and I headed up on the 24th and dove Whytecliff. It was a great experience and thanks to Yelloweye, H2O Doc, and Scuba Jess for the nice write-up about diving the cut. Cloud sponges were simply amazing, huge, and beautiful. We stayed in North Vancouver and headed to Egmont on Friday. When we arrived Friday we conducted our first dive. Unfortunately, I woke up around 5:00am throwing up, so I missed the second dive of the trip. I rallied and made the next two dives, which were a complete blur. My dive buddies kept a close eye on me as I was a little dehydrated and achy (thanks gdog, Janet, zsaoly, and Dan)!!! The next day I was at about 70% and made all the remaining dives. They were all amazing in a unique way. We had viz anywhere from 5' to 70'+. I know Dan posted a video, but I hope others will chime in with their photos, videos, and stories :-)

Have a great week/weekend.
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Sechelt, British Columbia - 3/24 to 3/28

Post by mpenders »

Great shots and nice write up, Scoobie! I really enjoyed the rest of your shots in your smugmug album, too.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nice work Jesse! Im about half way thru my shots. I will post them up hopefully by weekend.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Jesse -- Great job busting out the hits!

Sorry to hear you were feeling bad part of the time.. Looks like a great trip otherwise.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

mpenders wrote:Great shots and nice write up, Scoobie! I really enjoyed the rest of your shots in your smugmug album, too.
Thanks Penders. It was a good trip, but we did miss you :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Nice work Jesse! Im about half way thru my shots. I will post them up hopefully by weekend.
Cool beans. Can't wait to see them George.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Jesse -- Great job busting out the hits!

Sorry to hear you were feeling bad part of the time.. Looks like a great trip otherwise.
Thanks Eric. Yeah, not sure what it was. Maybe food poisoning, that's what it felt like.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

So better late than never Im told...here are a few shots from our trip to the Sunshine Coast.
First of all there were quite a few Nudibranches to shoot..
Nudibranch.jpg
Flabellina Trophina.jpg
Flabellina Trophina Nudibranch.jpg
Dendronotis Dalli Nudibranch.jpg
Decorated Warbonnet.jpg
Puget Sound King Crab.jpg
Not a great wide angle trip for me, I need some serious work. But here are a couple;
Quillback Rockfish in Cloud Sponge.jpg
Cloud Sponge.jpg
The cloud sponges there were really epic, and a ton of them. It was really a treat to see.
The visibility at depth was incredible, the trip was a blast, and the people were very enjoyable. On top of that, I had a great dive buddy!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

BC diving is the best! Great shots everyone!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Excellent work Gdog! I'm so glad you captured the sponges. I wish I would have hit WA and my GoPro at least one dive :) glad you got some WA though.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:Excellent work Gdog! I'm so glad you captured the sponges. I wish I would have hit WA and my GoPro at least one dive :) glad you got some WA though.
Thanks. I think what I got out of my wide angle on this trip was finding out what I need to work on in that respect. But I think those two are decent.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice ones George!!!

:partydance: :taco: :popcorn: :luv:
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubie Doo wrote:Hello all, well this weekend we headed to Sechelt BC to dive with Porpoise Bay Charters. First, the resort and hosts were absolutely awesome. Also, the group was excellent as always (Underwater Sports Olympia). Gdog and I headed up on the 24th and dove Whytecliff. It was a great experience and thanks to Yelloweye, H2O Doc, and Scuba Jess for the nice write-up about diving the cut. Cloud sponges were simply amazing, huge, and beautiful. We stayed in North Vancouver and headed to Egmont on Friday. When we arrived Friday we conducted our first dive. Unfortunately, I woke up around 5:00am throwing up, so I missed the second dive of the trip. I rallied and made the next two dives, which were a complete blur. My dive buddies kept a close eye on me as I was a little dehydrated and achy (thanks gdog, Janet, zsaoly, and Dan)!!! The next day I was at about 70% and made all the remaining dives. They were all amazing in a unique way. We had viz anywhere from 5' to 70'+. I know Dan posted a video, but I hope others will chime in with their photos, videos, and stories :-)

Have a great week/weekend.
awesome pictures!

I was going to ask you about your flip diopter. Who's it made by? I've thought about getting one but the $$$ always put a brake on it for me.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Gdog wrote:So better late than never Im told...here are a few shots from our trip to the Sunshine Coast.
First of all there were quite a few Nudibranches to shoot..

Not a great wide angle trip for me, I need some serious work. But here are a couple;
The cloud sponges there were really epic, and a ton of them. It was really a treat to see.
The visibility at depth was incredible, the trip was a blast, and the people were very enjoyable. On top of that, I had a great dive buddy!
super! I'm so jealous that you guys found an Orange Peel! :)

What were you shooting for the wide angle shots?

Dan
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Here's some of my pictures from the Porpoise Bay Charters trip last weekend with Olympia Underwater Sports.

While cloud sponges can be found at other locations, the Jarvis and Sechelt inlets have one of the best displays in the world. One interesting thing about these creatures is that their supporting structure is made from silica, which is why they're also called 'Glass Sponges'

Here are some of the best critter shots

a mature Yellow Eye rockfish

a brittle star living in an urchin shell

only my second ever candy stripe shrimp sighting

one of many Puget Sound King Crab

this Decorated Warbonnet posed for at least half a dozen divers :)

a rather nice looking Frosted Nudibranch (Dirona albolineata)

a Dendronotus dalli

and a green sea urchin using a shell as a 'sunshade'.

A great trip and a photographer's dream!

As always, you can see more photos at hershman.smugmug.com
Dan
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Great photos Dan! I love the urchin shell hat and the brittle star especially!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BC diving is the Holy Grail of cold water diving, and Sechelt inlet is a fabulous example of it, and all your pictures capture this amazingly!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thanks Dan.

I think I got the holder and subsee diopters from reefnet.ca. They make them custom so you have to get a quote. I believe the holder was $250 and the diopter was $200. So yes, very spendy.

You are welcome to try mine before making the plunge. Just let me know.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penopolypants wrote:Great photos Dan! I love the urchin shell hat and the brittle star especially!
Agreed, great photos. Nice combo of WA and macro.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubie Doo wrote:Thanks Dan.

I think I got the holder and subsee diopters from reefnet.ca. They make them custom so you have to get a quote. I believe the holder was $250 and the diopter was $200. So yes, very spendy.

that's pretty much the going rate. My understanding is that they are custom made to fit the particular port you have. I use the standard Ikelite flat port. Is that what you were using?

Dan
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

dphershman wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Thanks Dan.

that's pretty much the going rate. My understanding is that they are custom made to fit the particular port you have. I use the standard Ikelite flat port. Is that what you were using?

Dan
Yep, just using the ikelite standar port.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots Dan! My wide angle is a 14-42, on the 14mm end. One last parting shot, from my phone...ok Maybe three!
IMG_20160328_084000.jpg
IMG_20160327_191128.jpg
IMG_20160328_083953.jpg
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Great pics!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Jealous! Judging by all these fantastic photos and the trip report (minus the barfing) I missed an awesome dive trip!