Raja Ampat

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Raja Ampat

Post by stphnmartin »

I was fortunate to take a trip to Raja Ampat Indonesia last month. Stop what you're doing and go there now!

It was a 12 day voyage aboard the MV Amabi from Wallacea dive cruises. I signed up via Bluewater Travel with a buddy and we got in 35 dives despite sinking one of the tender boats the first day. Dropping down for the first dive had me confused by the color explosion and the abundance of marine life. Truly astounding. It took a bit to try and figure out how to do video in that environment as it's the complete opposite of diving the puget sound.

I added a gopro to my normal macro setup and it proved a good idea as I was able to capture macro and wide angle on each dive. On one dive in particular I managed to video a pygmy seahorse then turn around and capture some footage of a oceanic manta. The gopro footage does require a lot of tweaking though, but it was worthwhile.

Anyway, a big check mark on this bucket list item. If the wallet wasn't suffering a concussion, I'd be heading back there next week!

Less words, more video:

phpBB [video]
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Raja Ampat

Post by H20doctor »

WOW .... incredible diving there , i think I would be caught up in filming a cuddle fish for at least 2 days ... that frog fish was crazy Camouflaged, no wonder they are so hard to spot on dives.... Drone footage was cool also , did you have any issues with GPS or signal Loss while drone flying ..?
I think after doing dives like that i would never want to dive here ...HA HA HA HA ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Masterpiece. WOW !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

The Imodium AD reference made me chuckle.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Stephen, that is simply incredible. Fantastic Work! I. Want. To. Go. There. End of story.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

H20doctor wrote:WOW .... incredible diving there , i think I would be caught up in filming a cuddle fish for at least 2 days ... that frog fish was crazy Camouflaged, no wonder they are so hard to spot on dives.... Drone footage was cool also , did you have any issues with GPS or signal Loss while drone flying ..?
I think after doing dives like that i would never want to dive here ...HA HA HA HA ...
Thanks doc. That was one of the drawbacks to the trip is I felt a little rushed. I could have stayed in one spot for the entire dive.

Oddly enough I had a lot of problems with the drone despite being in the middle of nowhere. I kept losing contact with it. Only once did I fly it while the boat was underway because I was afraid I might lose it.

And, I knew it was going to be tough coming back to the puget sound, so I signed up ahead of time for a bandito trip to get back into the zen of cold water.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Jan K wrote:Masterpiece. WOW !
Thanks! It was a lot of fun putting together, beyond the actual experience.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Linedog wrote:The Imodium AD reference made me chuckle.
Yeah, Indonesian food and water didn't agree with me. But, it was only a problem for the first week! D'oh!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Gdog wrote:Stephen, that is simply incredible. Fantastic Work! I. Want. To. Go. There. End of story.

Thanks gdog. Its a worthy adventure. I'd go again. I've been trying to figure out how to live on one of those islands.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I am blown away! Great footage of course, but also the multi-media variety and quality of it all is great. Shooting, editing, composition is all great.

Raja Ampat is amazing and it was great to see your point of view on this magically destination.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I was there three years ago, stayed at a resort (Raja4Divers), and it was amazing. Until I went to the Red Sea the following year I had it rated as my all-time best destination ... and it's still a close second. One of the few places left with pristine reefs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Really well done! The diving looks spectacular!!!!!!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Incredible footage. Awesome work Stephen and great diving with you today!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

My very first warm water dive trip was to Papua New Guinea, just south of there. It was truly an underwater technicolor acid trip sans acid, and your video captured that beautifully. What a wonderful experience! I am dying to go back to that part of the world.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

dlh wrote:I am blown away! Great footage of course, but also the multi-media variety and quality of it all is great. Shooting, editing, composition is all great.

Raja Ampat is amazing and it was great to see your point of view on this magically destination.

Cheers,
Dave
Really appreciate it Dave. Also amazing to run into you in Sorong! I enjoyed your photos on FB as well!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Wow! Just Wow! I'm boarding the plane now... in my mind

Thanks for sharing!
It's a good day.... nobody died!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Epic!!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Crazy awesome!
I want to go see all those amazing shrimp!
We should have ThThTh Insonesia event!
I had a blast diving with you guys this weekend! It was really cool to watch your drone in action. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

The mantis shrimp is amazingly awesome. We should really start a gofundme campaign to bring them to the puget sound!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

stphnmartin wrote:The mantis shrimp is amazingly awesome. We should really start a gofundme campaign to bring them to the puget sound!

Yes let's!!!! I'll help with the campaign! It will be a shrimp party! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: