GPO, Deep sponges/cold water corals in Tahsis, Vancouver Island, BC

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

GPO, Deep sponges/cold water corals in Tahsis, Vancouver Island, BC

Post by nwscubamom »

We recently went on a dive adventure to Tahsis, BC, a little village west of Gold River (and Campbell River) on Vancouver Island. We took the Tsawassen ferry and landed at Duke Point, then spent a day diving in the Nanaimo area (Madrona Point, Tyee Cove). The next day we drove to Tahsis.

There is a wonderful dive charter there, Tahtsa Dive and Kayak Center http://www.tahtsadivecharters.com/, run by Scott and Jude Schooner, with the ability to fill tanks, air and nitrox. Their boat is the M/V Shorebird. It has a drop bow, and a nice open rung ladder attached to it. Walk off, ladder up. Very easy. The boat will go out with a minimum of two people. I think you can fit 6 on the boat max.
DSC_9261.JPG
claude.jpg
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
We dove two days there. First day we did three dives, second day we did two dives. Visibility was WAY better than anywhere else at the time - probably about 30 feet. When we were in Nanaimo, vis was about 5-10 feet. The invertebrate life was astounding. Feather Stars, Northern Abalone, Cloud Sponge, Chimney Sponge, Seastars of all kinds, Strawberry Anemone, and my first glimpse at the Red Gorgonians that are found starting around 110 feet. As for rockfish, it was mostly Yellowtail Rockfish we saw there.
claudecloud.jpg
strawberry.jpg
abalone.jpg
IMG_3303.JPG
IMG_3326.jpg
We stayed at one of the B&Bs in the village (Fern's Place, but there are a couple of others), and there is also a house you can rent for groups of 4-6. As we were eating dinner one evening, we saw a Black Bear saunter by. Yup, you're out in the boonies!
DSC_9300.JPG
DSC_9241.JPG
On our last dive there, we saw and got to swim with a large Giant Pacific Octopus out hunting. It was super cool, and one of the rare times I've seen them out of their dens and flitting about!
IMG_3550.JPG
If you haven't been, you NEED TO GO! Some of the most unspoiled, pristine reefs there.

http://www.tahtsadivecharters.com/

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: GPO, Deep sponges/cold water corals in Tahsis, Vancouver Island, BC

Post by Gdog »

Great report! Wanna Go!!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice snaps! Looks like some great adventures!!

On my list for sure!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Looks amazing! Great pics!!
I hope to try it out sometime :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Janna, what a great report and pics. I would love to check this off my list.