Another great day at Keystone

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It got mobbed yesterday ... to the point where parking spaces were getting hard for some folks to find. Fortunately I got there early (6 am ferry) and was in the water for my first dive (91 minutes, solo) by 7:15. Did a second dive with Myra during the second slack. Vis was typical Keystone ... about 15 feet with lots of particulates in the water. Found lots of cool stuff to take pictures of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

The parking area at Keystone has shrunk since the bank was knocked down by the big storm earlier this Spring. There used to be plenty of room for another row of vehicles. Now there is only room for one row next to the tables where we can gear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Another great day at Keystone

Post by RoxnDox »

You sure did... Great shots, Bob!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Oh yeah! Great shots! Let me know next time you venture up there.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Bob, great shots as usual. Funny, we were underwater at the same time ! No ferry for me :)
I arrived at Keystone to an empty parking lot, got in at 6:42 and when I got out one hour later, the parking was full.
I am happy that you put Whidbey on your dive map again. And have a good trip to the tropics where you have better visibility than we had yesterday after the freighter wake stirred up the shallows...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots Bob. Love that last one especially!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really nice shots Bob! :)
I love the candy stripes!!!!
Have a fun and safe trip!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Pretty special finding the candy stripes and the lumpie. I've never spotted those at Keystone. Good eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The candy-stripes are getting harder to find. I suspect they are transitory at that site, because until a few weeks ago I'd never heard of them being there before ... nor being found on painted anemones. I've been up there a few times in the two months since they were initially reported, and it seems like their numbers are dwindling.

The juvi lumpsuckers are all over in the kelp ... much like you can find them at other sites like Three Tree ... you just have to look carefully. I found several on each dive. They're quite small though, and blend in pretty well.

Both are most easily found by surface swimming out to the buoy about midway between the pilings and the jetty and doing a careful search of the surrounding area ... particularly upslope of the rope within about 20 or so lateral feet from the rope. The CSS will be more toward the pilings side of that buoy, on or inside of the anemones growing out of the bottom.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Radio
Avid Diver

Post by Radio »

Awesome shots!