Galapagos!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Galapagos!

Post by dphershman »

I had the good fortune of completing a bucket list trip a few weeks ago, a dive trip to the Galapagos. Easily the most amazing adventure I've ever gone on. The trip was organized by Olympia Underwater Sports nearly three years in advance. I jumped at the chance of course, as did a total of 12 divers from the south sound area.

First stop was Quito, Ecuador. We spent a day touring the city. This photo of our group was taken at a tourist stop situated on the equator.

On the second day we boarded a two hour flight to San Cristóbal, one of the two islands in the Galapagos with a major airport. There we were met by our boat, the 100 foot long Humboldt Explorer.

On our first afternoon we did a check out dive in a secluded cove not far from port, then we headed north to Punta Carrion, at the northeast corner of Santa Cruz Island. Diving there was relatively easy and was an introduction to the underwater life that we would see throughout the trip. Here are some King Angels devouring a chain jelly.

From there we did a long 14 hour overnight trip northwards to the remote islands of Wolf and Darwin.

Wolf was our first introduction to high current diving. The main attraction of this area is large schools of Hammerheads. These sharks gather in large schools in these currents, so the typical dive profile was to quickly drop to the bottom and then hang on and, if possible, get yourself wedged into some rocks. Then you wait for the sharks to show up.

This was where my large camera with dual strobes proved to be a handicap. My DSLR was very difficult to operate in the high current, even if I could manage to get the camera into a shooting position it was impossible in most cases to make any adjustments as the current didn't allow for me to release both hands. Those with point and shoot cameras had a definite advantage here, their small size made them much more usable.

Still, I did get lucky with a few shots where the strobes came in handy, like this school of barracuda.

Our next stop was nearby Darwin Island. This was the most remote, wildest spot you can possibly imagine. Huge schools of sharks, hundreds of dolphins, huge flocks of seabirds. And of course, Whale Sharks.

Just to the south of the Island is Darwin's Arch. On one side there is a terraced area that baorders a much deeper area. This is where the Whale Sharks are found.

Just as in Wolf there was a very high current, so the typical dive profile was to quickly drop, hang on to the bottom and wait. After we used most of our air we then launched ourselves into the blue in the hope of running into a whale shark. Whale sharks are filter feeders, so their movements were predictable as they made large loops that took them fairly close to the ledges. With a bit of luck you find yourself right in their path as they head upcurrent.

This is a 30 foot female that we saw on several dives.

All you can do is try to position yourself in front of the shark and get as close as possible. You simply cannot keep up, much less chase down one of these giants. Just watch out for the tail as it comes by!

This was the hardest diving I've ever done. Deception Pass is a picnic compared to the currents of Darwin and Wolf. Still, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had on a dive trip, one that I don't think can ever be surpassed.

Here are some suggestions if you go

Those of us with drysuits all got at least one puncture. (fortunately we brought some aquaseal!) Folks with wetsuits didn't have these issues, plus they were more streamlined overall so had an advantage with the current. Some divers brought 5mm, others 7. At least one diver with a 7mm suit said that he was too warm (the temps were in the low 70s most of the time, with a few dips to 68 in specific areas). Bring the toughest gloves you can find, some used leather tropical gloves, kevlar would help as well. My neoprene gloves had no fingertips the last couple of days.

Prepare to be challenged in ways you've never been, but you'll be rewarded with the adventure of a liftetime.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Galapagos!

Post by Penopolypants »

What an outstanding adventure! A friend did a topside excursion to Galapagos over the summer and raved about it. I can only imagine how incredible it would be below the surface as well.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

is the current always an issue there with these types of islands , or are there trips when the current is doable ?
this is an amazing trip , and quite a journey to get there ., i have looked at trips out to CoCos islands on the aggressor fleet , and most divers seems to come back with excellent reviews. thanks for sharing your vacation / bucket trip
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks for sharing ... the Galapagos is near the top of my list of places I must go before I get too old ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

H20doctor wrote:is the current always an issue there with these types of islands , or are there trips when the current is doable ?
this is an amazing trip , and quite a journey to get there ., i have looked at trips out to CoCos islands on the aggressor fleet , and most divers seems to come back with excellent reviews. thanks for sharing your vacation / bucket trip

The current is always present at both Wolf and Darwin. The hammerheads are particularly fond of high current, while the Whale Sharks use the current to feed. Hammerheads gather by the hundreds when the current is at its highest. If you do go, be sure to plan your trip during whale shark season (I forget the exact months, but we were there in the prime season). We planned this trip nearly 3 years in advance.

Dan
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

+1 for doing a liveaboard in the Galapagos... before it's gone.

I was there a while back and it was the most amazing diving I've ever done. Also the most expensive, but worth it!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

You must have been there about the same time I was. I was down from October 6-13 on the Aggressor boat. Ours was organized by the dive shop I got certified with in San Diego. I think we signed up way back in 2012. We only saw whale sharks on 1 dive, however. One was a small juvenile around 20ft, and the other had to have been 40+. Basically like watching a wall of spots going by.

H20, the currents there are year round. It's definitely not a dive for people who aren't comfortable with current. That being said, diving in the sound off-slack is a good way to train for it. We had one dive with about a 5 knot current, but the rest weren't quite so bad. Manageable if you got a good handhold on the rock. The worst current day I just shot video and no photos. Diving keystone off slack a few times was fairly equivalent. If you are comfortable in the sound, you should be fine in the Galapagos.

Here's a couple of my photos:

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW!!! Amazing job! I really want to go :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

jmartel wrote:You must have been there about the same time I was. I was down from October 6-13 on the Aggressor boat. Ours was organized by the dive shop I got certified with in San Diego. I think we signed up way back in 2012. We only saw whale sharks on 1 dive, however. One was a small juvenile around 20ft, and the other had to have been 40+. Basically like watching a wall of spots going by.

H20, the currents there are year round. It's definitely not a dive for people who aren't comfortable with current. That being said, diving in the sound off-slack is a good way to train for it. We had one dive with about a 5 knot current, but the rest weren't quite so bad. Manageable if you got a good handhold on the rock. The worst current day I just shot video and no photos. Diving keystone off slack a few times was fairly equivalent. If you are comfortable in the sound, you should be fine in the Galapagos.

Wow! I was never able to get that close to a hammerhead.

We were there September 19-26th.

We had a sighting of a whale shark (mostly the same one) on every dive at Darwin. She just kept making circles along the shore, just off in the deep water.

In Puget Sound we tend to drift dive in current. At Wolf and Darwin you just hang on to the barnacle-encrusted rocks as best you can. :)
But I agree, diving in Puget Sound is a good preparation for Galapagos.

Dan
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

dphershman wrote: Wow! I was never able to get that close to a hammerhead.

We were there September 19-26th.

We had a sighting of a whale shark (mostly the same one) on every dive at Darwin. She just kept making circles along the shore, just off in the deep water.

In Puget Sound we tend to drift dive in current. At Wolf and Darwin you just hang on to the barnacle-encrusted rocks as best you can. :)
But I agree, diving in Puget Sound is a good preparation for Galapagos.

Dan
I think I saw on the Aggressor's captain's log that that was a phenomenal week for whale shark sightings and even had a pod of orcas swim by. Bummer that I missed them, but I almost had to sit out on the single whale shark dive we had as well (lost a mask overboard, someone on our RIB had a backup luckily).

The trick with the hammerheads is you gotta hide behind a boulder and hold your breath when they get within 20ft or so. The bubbles will scare them off. It also helped that myself with my camera and the other guy with his camera were down deeper than everyone else. We were typically 105-110' fsw and most others were 85' fsw and up.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

This is just an outstanding picture.

https://hershman.smugmug.com/Underwater ... -FtLpD8w/A
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

johndo88 wrote:This is just an outstanding picture.

https://hershman.smugmug.com/Underwater ... -FtLpD8w/A

Thanks! (sometimes things just work out really well, sometimes they don't)

Dan