Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I hit Sund Rock for two dives on Saturday. We got a late start (because I needed to sleep in :)) Dive one was to the cloud sponges. I had a first time sight, two Warbonnets posing next to one another for a photo. I spent several minutes snapping photos and ended up with (47) nice shots of these two little critters. The second dive did not disappoint either. Penders spotted a Red Brotula. I have only seen (2) in my 775 dives and never able to photograph one. Penders helped with his light and we spent about 10-15 minutes shooting this shy critter. I got a couple shots. They aren't great, but they ID the little fella and are treasures in my collection. All in all, great diving.

Oh yeah, my drysuit leaked, so I cobbled together undergarments for dive two. They were extra thick so I added a couple pounds. Unfortunately, I was about 4 lbs light. At 60 feet I felt super light, I signaled Penders and search for a nearby weight. I found a cement block with a string and quickly attached it to my belt. Worked perfectly, and it was definitely a DIW (Doing it Wrong) moment. Penders captured this with his Wa setup, it was pretty funny.

Here are a few favorites. Click any photo to be taken to the full gallery. Used a couple different filters for the Warbonnet sequence.

And a few friends :)

Have a nice week.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Post by mz53480 »

Great pics!
Was the brotula on the north wall?
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

mz53480 wrote:Great pics!
Was the brotula on the north wall?
MZ
It was at the top of the fish pen wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

nice find Scubie ..!! i have only seen a Red Brotula 1x also , very shy reclusive fish .. me and MZ did the sponges awhile back its a bit of a long swim to reach them ... nice shots as always
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Did you carry the concrete block with you, or stay tethered to a radius around it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

GearHead wrote:Did you carry the concrete block with you, or stay tethered to a radius around it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I strapped it to my belt and dove with it.

bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Hope you tied off your cement weight so it was "ditchable". Good story and pics. Was that block near the blue bouy? I remember seeing one with a couple feet of rope hanging off of it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool
Nice warbonnets, and the best brotula pics I've seen...!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots, and report. Those Warbonnet shots are epic! Looking forward to seeing penders shots of you with block attachment!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic shots!
I've only seen the Red Brotula at Cove 2 and Flagpole but haven't had a chance to get a pic. Your shots are excellent!
Nice work with the quick thinking about extra weight. I hope we can see you at ThThTh soon :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sebass was there as well, with a different group. He said he saw wolf eels, first time seeing them that big.
I was on shore support and food detail.
He has some BC issues and between 3 divers, they were able to couple together a solution so he could dive the second time.
Makes me thankful for the diving community, to come together and support one another.

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

H20doctor wrote:nice find Scubie ..!! i have only seen a Red Brotula 1x also , very shy reclusive fish .. me and MZ did the sponges awhile back its a bit of a long swim to reach them ... nice shots as always
Thanks Doctor. I was pretty excited about the find (Thank you Penders).
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

bradmond wrote:Hope you tied off your cement weight so it was "ditchable". Good story and pics. Was that block near the blue bouy? I remember seeing one with a couple feet of rope hanging off of it.
Absolutely able to ditch it quickly :-) That was a part of the DIW that was DIR.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Very cool
Nice warbonnets, and the best brotula pics I've seen...!
Thanks YE, was excited about getting photos you could recognize the fish :-)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Great shots, and report. Those Warbonnet shots are epic! Looking forward to seeing penders shots of you with block attachment!
Yeah, that was hilarious. A mistake I have not made in several hundred dives. Goes to show, never put your guard down.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

ScubaJess wrote:Fantastic shots!
I've only seen the Red Brotula at Cove 2 and Flagpole but haven't had a chance to get a pic. Your shots are excellent!
Nice work with the quick thinking about extra weight. I hope we can see you at ThThTh soon :)
I'm in Ohio this week, but should be able to make this week's ThThTh.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

scubamamacita wrote:Image

Sebass was there as well, with a different group. He said he saw wolf eels, first time seeing them that big.
He has some BC issues and between 3 divers, they were able to couple together a solution so he could dive the second time.
Makes me thankful for the diving community, to come together and support one another.

Cool beans :-) Glad he got to see the large Wolfies...
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Mm... Is that chili I smell cooking?!
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Gdog wrote:

Mm... Is that chili I smell cooking?!
Chicken and rice soup with grilled cheese sandwiches! Nothing too heavy, but something hot to eat.

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Sund Rock rarely disappoints, and Saturday was a fine example. Vis reports were promising earlier in the week, so I opted to setup with my wide angle lens for the day. Good thing, rarely does one get the opportunity to capture something truly unique.

There we are, ascending from where we found a brotula - where we had spent a good deal of time and now need to burn off some nitrogen. Scubie Doo flags me down, and signals he has a problem with his weights. Got it, message understood: he was underweighted (He had changed to a thicker undergarment and different model of tank between dives and had added some weight, but it must not have been enough). Okay, we can deal with this. Hey, look - a cinder block with a line tied to it! I figure he can hold onto it while I find some rocks.

Nope.

Next thing I know, Scubie is doing his best to imitate a herd of OW students plowing furrows in the mud. Eventually, vis finally clears enough that I can see what he was working on:
DWWRN (Doing What Works Right Now)
DWWRN (Doing What Works Right Now)
Scubie Doo Balloon
Scubie Doo Balloon
More shots from the day.
Scubie swimming with the fishes
Scubie swimming with the fishes
Plumose Anemones
Plumose Anemones
Attachments
Cloud Sponge with Rockfish
Cloud Sponge with Rockfish
Cloud Sponge
Cloud Sponge
Decorated Warbonnet in Cloud Sponge
Decorated Warbonnet in Cloud Sponge
Skate Egg - one of two we saw<br />**Edit** Brown Cat Shark egg case (Thanks, Greg!)
Skate Egg - one of two we saw
**Edit** Brown Cat Shark egg case (Thanks, Greg!)
Lots of Shiner Perch
Lots of Shiner Perch
Plumose Anemones
Plumose Anemones
Scubie workin' it
Scubie workin' it
Copper Rockfish
Copper Rockfish
Last edited by mpenders on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders, that is hilarious. It was a couple pounds heavy. I only needed a couple pounds. But given The circumstances, I was okay being "overweighted".

BTW- Newbies, do not try this at home. The lesson here is do not become complacent. After almost 800 dives I thought "Change undergarments, add weight, no big deal." However, anything can turn into a big deal if not considered carefully. Okay, off my soapbox. :)

bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

That's awesome, is a that block GUE approved gear?
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

I think Jesse has a new profile picture there! Great pictures from all...

I actually spent Saturday out there, too, but on top of the water down at Hoodsport (a salmon tournament for Heroes On the Water). Just a little bit of weather to deal with in the kayak. I think y'all had a better time but it was still fun. :supz:

Jim

<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Yeah, the pics of Jesse with the cider block are priceless! I'm not sure which is more amusing, hanging the block from his belt, or swimming around in circles tethered to a stationary concrete anchor.

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

GearHead wrote:Yeah, the pics of Jesse with the cider block are priceless! I'm not sure which is more amusing, hanging the block from his belt, or swimming around in circles tethered to a stationary concrete anchor.
Oh - he wasn't "anchored". Picture a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon...