Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Sund Rock - 11/12/16

Post by mpenders »

RoxnDox wrote:I think Jesse has a new profile picture there! Great pictures from all...

I actually spent Saturday out there, too, but on top of the water down at Hoodsport (a salmon tournament for Heroes On the Water). Just a little bit of weather to deal with in the kayak. I think y'all had a better time but it was still fun. :supz:

Jim
We got into Hoodsport about 2pm, and the water was pretty rough. Noticed a bunch of fisherman with kayaks on their cars already, likely not willing to risk it anymore. There were also several boats trying to get back to the docks and ramp without incurring damage (or injuries).
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

GearHead wrote:Yeah, the pics of Jesse with the cider block are priceless! I'm not sure which is more amusing, hanging the block from his belt, or swimming around in circles tethered to a stationary concrete anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swam around for 20minutes with that as boy on.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

mpenders wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:I think Jesse has a new profile picture there! Great pictures from all...

I actually spent Saturday out there, too, but on top of the water down at Hoodsport (a salmon tournament for Heroes On the Water). Just a little bit of weather to deal with in the kayak. I think y'all had a better time but it was still fun. :supz:

Jim
We got into Hoodsport about 2pm, and the water was pretty rough. Noticed a bunch of fisherman with kayaks on their cars already, likely not willing to risk it anymore. There were also several boats trying to get back to the docks and ramp without incurring damage (or injuries).
Ah, by then it had settled down a fair bit... We were done fishing by 3, but a lot of folks had already limited out in the morning and had their boats out. We did have a number of flipped yaks - thank goodness for drysuits! Some people drove over and decided it was more than they felt like trying...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Mike, I really really like that plumose anenome shot 3rd from the bottom. The lighting is perfect. Nicely done
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Gdog wrote:Mike, I really really like that plumose anenome shot 3rd from the bottom. The lighting is perfect. Nicely done
Thanks, George!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

That's hilarious! Awesome photos all around!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Post by taylortex »

Yay for red brots! I've seen 3 at fish pen wall on a single dive before.
Never seen the cloud sponge there, where is it at Sund?

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Actually I think that's a brown cat shark egg case- very cool find
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Greg Jensen wrote:Actually I think that's a brown cat shark egg case- very cool find
I always thought those were skate egg casings. We saw 3-4 of them. Thanks for the input.

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Greg Jensen wrote: Actually I think that's a brown cat shark egg case- very cool find
Thanks, Greg! I never would have guessed it to be from a shark. I didn't even know that there was a brown cat shark, or that it was something to be found in our local waters.
Scubie Doo wrote: I always thought those were skate egg casings. We saw 3-4 of them. Thanks for the input.
This egg case was smaller than others that I've seen before. The majority of the egg cases I've found have been at Sund Rock, usually away from the walls in the middle of nowhere. Scubie, did you get a decent picture of the one we found below the south wall that day?

Greg, what say you on this one that we found at Sund in January 2015?
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Post by taylortex »

Greg Jensen wrote:Actually I think that's a brown cat shark egg case- very cool find
Brown cat shark in the nearshore?

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Greg, what say you on this one that we found at Sund in January 2015?[/quote]

that is a skate case- much more rectangular shape, and I'm guessing considerably larger
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very cool Greg! I saw one of these several months ago and thought it was a skate. A new find for sure. Image

Question, what does the brown cat shark look like? I cannot find one on the internet.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

If you just mean the egg cases, Jesse, here's a description from http://species-identification.org/speci ... rks&id=298

Oviparous, laying a single egg per oviduct at a time; egg cases about 5 cm long and 2.5 wide, with long tendrils. Incubation period of eggs possibly about 1 year. In Canadian waters, females carry egg cases from February to August.

Image from a wikipedia if I did this right
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... apseln.JPG

Jim
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Great pics!
Was the brotula on the north wall?
MZ
It was at the top of the fish pen wall.

Late to this party, but those are some of the best Red Brotula pics I've seen! They are really shy, and it is tough to catch a glimpse of them, let alone get a decent shot. That pair has been in the same spot for at least 6 or 7 years.... at least it appears to be the same ones. You have to "sneak up" on them, and even then it is really hard to get a picture.

Well done!

Oh, and +1 for the new profile pic Scubie.... :joshsmith:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

RoxnDox wrote:If you just mean the egg cases, Jesse, here's a description from http://species-identification.org/speci ... rks&id=298

Oviparous, laying a single egg per oviduct at a time; egg cases about 5 cm long and 2.5 wide, with long tendrils. Incubation period of eggs possibly about 1 year. In Canadian waters, females carry egg cases from February to August.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I was looking for a picture of an actual brown catshark. How big are they? Has anyone here ever seen/photographed one?

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Only photos I've seen are a couple in Lamb's "coastal fishes of the Pacific Northwest" book. Maximum length 27 inches
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Greg Jensen wrote:Only photos I've seen are a couple in Lamb's "coastal fishes of the Pacific Northwest" book. Maximum length 27 inches
Okay thanks. That is prettt good size.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Scubie Doo wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:If you just mean the egg cases, Jesse, here's a description from http://species-identification.org/speci ... rks&id=298

Jim
Thanks Jim, I was looking for a picture of an actual brown catshark. How big are they? Has anyone here ever seen/photographed one?

Gotcha... Found some pics, though not many.
https://goo.gl/images/lXU3lf

https://goo.gl/images/hKGkBi

https://goo.gl/images/wazpt6
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Heck yeah! Got a new critter to add to my photography list. I know it's probably rare, but some day!