Sweet Smell of Redondo trip report

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Sweet Smell of Redondo trip report

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy folks. We had a great night at Redondo last night.

Hoodsport Diver, new member hbax, Keith C (not a board member, but still awesome guy), ScubaJess and I made up the crew last night, but we also got see/meet Doubting Gunnel, DTodd, Grateful Diver, Waterproof Boat before our dive, and jsaenz(?) after the dive. Very cool, and a great pleasure to meet some of you for the first time in person.

Redondo delivered again! Grunts, Stubbies, Octos, schools(!) of bay pipefish, a mosshead warbonnet, horned shrimp, and Lumpies were seen by our crew. It was also great to see coonstripe shrimp everywhere again! Doubting Gunnel and DTodd got to see a cephalopod hatch event on the pipe during their dive! Our crew went and looked but couldn't find it.

Here was one of my snaps
DSC_3542-2.jpg
Thanks to DTodd for some loans, and our dive crew for a bit of unexpected gear recovery due to a rogue wave up the stairs.

After the dive, we went to Billy's and tried to give hbax the full hazing. He didn't take the bait on Burger of the Gods, but we still had a great time!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sweet Smell of Redondo trip report

Post by ScubaJess »

Great report YE! It was nice to meet everyone last night.

That PSL is adorable!!! :luv: :eric: :partydance: :taco:

I'm so glad the shrimp are back!!! :eric: :partydance: :partydance: :eric:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Two questions:
1) we heard two HUGE bangs during our dive. Anybody have any idea what that could have been? They were quite shocking.
2) what's up with all the bay pipefish? Bob, do you know if these have increased since we've seen more freshwater at Redondo?
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Hiya! I was great meeting all of you. Admittedly, I didn't know ThThTh was happening. So I have to apologize for the "oh-my-gosh you guys, the tide and the Redondo River!". In my defense, I was slightly hypothermic (leaky suit) and I hadn't eaten anything in 4 hours (wow, big mistake).

I got some not-so-great shots of the just hatched cephs. I'm thinking stubby's because of how thin the arms are. I also don't remember the GPOs that hatched at 3T being this tiny. These were so incredible small.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You guys found way more than me and Michael did. But any dive I can see something I've never seen before is a bonus ... and I have never seen a shrimp like this before. Looks like the flag of Italy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

YellowEye wrote:Two questions:
1) we heard two HUGE bangs during our dive. Anybody have any idea what that could have been? They were quite shocking.
There was a facebook discussion suggesting the loud noises are explosives used by the fishermen to scare away the seals from their squid!

If you hear these, please report it, it is illegal.