Hood Canal Adventures

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Hood Canal Adventures

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy!
Yesterday ScubaJess, Bradmond and I trailered Brad's boat out to Hood Canal for some adventures. We were a bit worried about the wind, as the wind forecast was a bit high. But when we arrived at Hoodsport, we were elated to see the water was flat as ice!

We got some snacks and coffee (Nitro coldbrew at Hoodsport Coffee!! :luv: ), then proceeded to Pleasant Harbor for the launch. It is about an 8 mile chug back down to Flagpole. By the time we got there, there were a few wind waves in the seas, but not bad at all. Surface current was running really hard though, and the water was extremely muddy. It was as bit of a challenge to make it to the downline. ScubaJess bailed because it was a bit too rough and her fin was feeling a bit loose. Bradmond and I went down, and by the time we were 5 feet down, the viz and the current cleared like magic. It was super dark down there though!

Upon descent we saw an octo and a wolfeel pair right off the bat. We went down to the cloud sponges (Max depth 101) and explored around. I was on wide angle so I didn't really prod around for squat lobsters, warbonnets, brotulas and things like that, but there was a nice vermillion rockfish around.

The rest of the dive was pleasant, with more octos and wolfeels found (none in the open), lots of fish, a few seastars, sponges, etc. Lots of cross jellies and one egg yolk jelly and a pacific winged snail were found in the shallows up the line

For the second dive, we went further north at another WSA bouy just south of Pleasant Harbor. We're not sure of the name of the site, so if anybody knows the name, let us know.

The entry was still tough, but doable. ScubaJess was elated to see plenty of squat lobsters as well as some baby gobies. Also seen on the dive were yellow boring sponges, a dead salmon, etc. The site was quite similar to Sund Rock, though we didn't see any wolfies. On the ascent, I saw a swimming nudibranch swim by at 15' deep! I drifted with it for a while in the current, but had to let it go so as to not get too far blown off.

By the time we came up the seas were quite a bit rougher, and it was a bit more challenging to get back into the boat.

It was a cold, dark, beautiful day!

Thanks Brad for taking us out!!

Here were some of the snaps
Brad checks out some of the cloud sponges on the wall
Brad checks out some of the cloud sponges on the wall
Plenty of zoonthids and rockfish at Flagpole
Plenty of zoonthids and rockfish at Flagpole
Brad ascending the line at Flagpole
Brad ascending the line at Flagpole
Swimming nudibranch.  It was about 9" across.
Swimming nudibranch. It was about 9" across.
Have a great week!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hood Canal Adventures

Post by Gdog »

Awesome work ans shots. I cant wait to get back to flagpole. Love that first shot, it is really good!
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Good trip report and pics Eric. That was an adventure for sure but it was a fun day.
bradmond
Submariner

Hood Canal Adventures

Post by bradmond »

This is where we did the second dive. There is a WSA buoy there now.

http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=224
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

It was so much fun diving with you guys yesterday! :eric: :partydance:
Thanks to Brad for taking us on such a cool adventure.

Really nice shots YE! The lighting is so good. :taco: I really love the swimming Nudi, those guys are crazy awesome. Also nice work on the Zoanthids!!

I cannot wait to go back. I was so happy to see those super cute Squat Lobsters!
:luv: :eric: :partydance: :taco: :partyman: :pirate: :popcorn: :eric:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Wow! What an awesome site! I really want to go now. Thank you for sharing a great trip report and the awesome photos.
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Post by taylortex »

I like to use the Triton Cove boat ramp to combo flagpole and Rosie's ravine, much closer and in between both sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Great pic's have not been to ROSIE'S RAVINE for some time
thinking of going soon see you guy
It's a good day.... nobody died!
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

taylortex wrote:I like to use the Triton Cove boat ramp to combo flagpole and Rosie's ravine, much closer and in between both sites
We thought that might be a good option as we were motoring by there. I looked at Google maps tonight and it does look ok. Pleasant Harbor is protected well from the wind, has a good ramp and dock. It was a lot better trip back heading down wind (north) after our second dive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Excellent excellent wide angle YE. And 'yes' I meant to say excellent twice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk