Stuart Island

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Stuart Island

Post by H20doctor »

many many years ago i had talked to a diver on scuba Board who frequently made boat trips up to stuart island, He was a rebreather diver and he would stay and Moor on the island while doing multiple dives at Turn point .... The reason i really enjoyed the talks was because he spoke of the Wall there ... what Kinda a wall ? well take a look ..
depths.JPG
you see that line 24 fathoms .... then 47 fathoms ...? 168 feet to over 600 FEET !! Now thats a wall ..
there is nothing i enjoy more than being on a wall , and looking down to nothing but Black Abyss.. the fact of diving on a deep wall really gets me pumped and excited .. being neutral on a wall and just looking down thinking ..WOW i could really disappear if i went down .. ok so back to the story i tried several times to schedule such a dive to Stuart Island with guy who i cant remember now who he was ..LOL but it never worked out ... I tried and called the anacortes dive charters but the Run time to get up there is way to long , like 5 hours , and it was a no go .. the other Main Big issue of trying to dive Turn point, is massive Current ... the point is very subject to currents , and when it going .. the water is very turbulent, much like deception pass .. So i needed the right tide day , and a person with a boat ... Now comes Seaslave .... He lives in Birch bay , and I dive with him all the time in the san juans .. But turn point was never do able for his work sched , and when he was able to get free of work... I have 3 factors to try and get out to this Epic Wall .. a Boat .. tides , and weather ... So i waited ... and i waited ... and i waited ... 5 years went By
Last summer i got a text ... and it read ... " want to Dive turn point ? " I replied ... " dont tease me Bro , you know dam Well I want to dive there !! " Seaslave then replied .. " pack your Gear cause Its On !!! " turn Point was finally going to happen , and it was on My Bucket list .. I have many diving bucket lists , we all do , we all have a place or a dive that we want to do before we die .. I have 2 more to do for my list .. film Red Goose Neck barnacles @ Nakwakto Rapids, British Columbia.. 22 knots of Death ... and some day Make it down to the Chan Islands to swim in large Kelp forests ..
The pure Fact i was going to stuart Island was great .. the fact i was going to get on this wall was even Better ...
The Dive :
we Loaded up and boated over , the trip would take an Hr to reach the site , om the way we Hit Gull rock and took in some wild life.. once at stuart Island we geared Up and waited ... Matt was out due to a cold , so Jake and I were diving together... we splashed in after a short wait and the kelp laid down , next to cliff we went over our plan and dive ... i hit my deflator and dropped ... the water was a bit fuzzy with sediment , but viz on this day was 20 feet , I fired up my video and started my drop on the wall ... it was massive , and Awe inspiring , Huge and sheer was the underwater cliffs , and when i looked down there was nothing Below me .. Nothing But the call of the deep ... This was the Mega wall i had heard of .. I cant image hitting this site now in the winter time and having 40 feet of Viz .. the wall Just dropped .. all around me were thousands of white Plumose , rows and fields of them.. many Crimson anemones , they were everywhere here , and full of candy stripe shrimp ... parts of the wall that are hit hard with current are covered in bright colors of life .. sponges , and barnacles , blood stars , cushion stars , and a new one for me a Northern star.. massive schools of rock fish , there were some nice over hangs here along with a cave ... I saw sea cukes , and sea apples , plenty of Nudis , the wall had it all in one dive ... :supz: too bad i only had 1 tank to dive it with ... the life zone between 40 and 20 was superb .. I spent my dive swimming south toward the cove and ended up on a overhang in 20 feet Loaded with zoanthid Polyps, and very colorful Mushroom Tunicates .... the dive was Epic in more ways than i could have imagined , and i cant wait to get back there someday ...

https://youtu.be/uTUyaxPTlD4

13782020_10208396210734904_2128684443722540058_n.jpg
13730859_10208402651055908_9120365302568473350_o.jpg
13641079_10208402649655873_707118825391965106_o.jpg
13775583_10208396210614901_1421037435803829167_n.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Re: Stuart Island

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Wow, nice wall. Can't believe it's that deep so close to shore. What was your max depth? Looks like you hit slack right on the money.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey, loved the video, and the pics! Great work Doc!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Chris: Thank you again for letting me reminisce. We usually dove from an inflatable, doing our safety stop in the kelp bed off the point. Additionally, for about thirty years we would anchor in Prevost Harbor and hike out to Turn Point. We would pack our lunch and make it a day. About half the time orca would round the point. I attached this picture because it gives a sense of how close the whales would come to the kelp bed. Stuart Island is a marvelous place.
-Curt :rawlings:
Turn Point
Turn Point
Happy to be alive.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Sounds so Epic! I'd love to try it sometime, those Plumose and Tunicates look really beautiful! Great pics & video. It looks so nice and warm out!

Also really cool Pic Old Salt! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

oldsalt wrote:Chris: Thank you again for letting me reminisce. We usually dove from an inflatable, doing our safety stop in the kelp bed off the point. Additionally, for about thirty years we would anchor in Prevost Harbor and hike out to Turn Point. We would pack our lunch and make it a day. About half the time orca would round the point. I attached this picture because it gives a sense of how close the whales would come to the kelp bed. Stuart Island is a marvelous place.
-Curt :rawlings:
Orca7.JPG
i agree ... the san Juans are a great place to explore and see, from boating and staying on the islands... to the great hiking , the sea kayaking , boating , whale watching , bird watching ... you could spend the whole summer up there and just relax .. the islands are a true gem
Ryan Nelson wrote:Wow, nice wall. Can't believe it's that deep so close to shore. What was your max depth? Looks like you hit slack right on the money.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
i only 110 feet on the wall .. i wanted to maximize a full tank for exploration , so i wasnt very deep for long ...
Gdog wrote:Hey, loved the video, and the pics! Great work Doc!
anytime my friend :partyman:
ScubaJess wrote:Sounds so Epic! I'd love to try it sometime, those Plumose and Tunicates look really beautiful! Great pics & video. It looks so nice and warm out!

Also really cool Pic Old Salt! :)
thanks Jess !! :luv:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen