ALKI REEF

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

ALKI REEF

Post by H20doctor »

We charged up the scooters and hit alki Reef today , arrived to a wet morning and some wind at the site. High tide was at 10am so we needed to get geared up and in the water by 915.. I was joined By mr dave , and Don .. one on cuda 400 and a 650. ..Geo Metro.. very slow scooters ..LOL and i on my Magnus 950.. Lamborghini.. we got in to waves and surf and took the compass Heading out to the 1 st pile...
Image11.jpg
Image12.jpg
Image13.jpg
water was Friggin cold and i got a Lovely Ice cream headache as i acclimated my face and brain to the salt water... scootering out along the way we saw lots of life and stuff , several Lined nudibranchs.. large opal essence , some of them white and others orange.. counted 4 lewis moon snails along the way too..
Image1.jpg
16 mins On the trigger and BOOM !!! here we are at the first rock pile.. Viz was a Hazy 20 feet .. on the reef today were Large Black rock fish, schools of perch , kelp greenling here and there , some quillbacks rocks .. .saw the baby sea pens making a come back and hopefully they will grow and thrive again , because i really do miss the sea pen landscape at this site....
Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg
we scootered over the the 2nd and 3 rd rock pile , hitting a max depth of 78 feet..at about 1900 psi i was into NDL and time to start heading back to shore with the crew and zip on in...
Image7.jpg
Image8.jpg
Many fly by's , loop de Loops , and upside down scootering and back on the shore... great Day in the water and good dive friends to join along...
Image5.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: ALKI REEF

Post by Scubak »

Awesome....
I had forgotten about the icecream headaches, but have experienced several...just none in the last couple of years...
I need to get a scooter but would rather have a new camera setup....
Thanks for sharing...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice on doc!
How was the macro life out there? Were there nudis (real nudis!!) out there? Or mostly barnacles and fake nudis?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome!! But Eric, what do fake nudis look like?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:Awesome!! But Eric, what do fake nudis look like?
in the years yelloweye has been taking underwater photos , there is a species of nudibranchs that is no longer considered a Nudi , in fact its not a nudi , and he has dedicated a Hashtag for it #notmynudi and #notanudi

Here is a Picture of the fake Nudi
the sea lemon , the lemon Peel, the Monterey .... they are not real ..and dont exist
notanudi.JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

YellowEye wrote:Nice on doc!
How was the macro life out there? Were there nudis (real nudis!!) out there? Or mostly barnacles and fake nudis?
i saw most nudis on the way out , in the sand and the eel grass... on the reef ..? nothing that i could remember :uh:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

If they dont exist, then why do I see them? Is this one of those existential topics?
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

#AlternativeNudi
Dave
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

No sea pens?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Awesome pics!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: