KVI Tower from shore

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

KVI Tower from shore

Post by theonly_JT »

This morning I had the opportunity to meet up with some divers to try KVI Tower from shore. Seemed straightforward, hop a ferry to Vashon, short drive south to KVI beach, then swim out to the buoy. A few gear issues and a missed ferry later, we were ready to splash.

The tide was starting to go out but we figured we would give it a go anyway. Immediately we got caught in the current right off the spit in front of the tower. No big deal we can drop down early and fin our way out there. 20ft deep, still fighting current but we kept our heading to try and find the buoy.

After 15min of fighting the current and not finding the site we turned back. This is when things got interesting.....By this time the tides were starting to move pretty swiftly around the point. Trying to surface swim back was like running up a sand dune. The closer to shore I got the harder the tide tried to pull us back out to sea (eddy current?). Finally made it back to shore and needless to say we were all EXHAUSTED.

I can'y say it was an entirely successful trip but it sure made for one hell of an adventure. To add insult to injury as we were packing up our gear we saw boat mooring up to the buoy.... :angry:

What did we learn today? Don't try KVI Tower from shore, and if you do time the tides or you'll be fighting to get back home.
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: KVI Tower from shore

Post by YellowEye »

That's a tough one to hike to and to find from shore!
I do like the bakery on Vashon though, it can make it worth it
Glad you made it out safe
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
lologrande
Avid Diver

Post by lologrande »

I did KVI from shore once. We made it out and after a lot of work and dropped down into 3' vis. Maybe. On the plus side you guys don't need to go the gym today!
The owls are not what they seem.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

KVI is a pretty current sensitive site. You want to do it on a slack before flood, preferably a fairly low tide as the deeper stuff isn't so deep then.

Getting in at any old time doesn't work as you discovered.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.