Sharks and Prinz Eugen in Kwajalein/Roi Namur

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
brenthogenson
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Sharks and Prinz Eugen in Kwajalein/Roi Namur

Post by brenthogenson »

I was on tour with a band in 1995 and was touring the Pacific rim, and we were fortunate to stay on Kwajalein for two weeks. We were playing for military bases, so we were allowed to be on Kwajalein back then. The atoll would only allow government and government/military workers. Beautiful Atoll and location.

We took a boat out on the ocean side of the crater and were hanging out at about 75 or so feet. The water was insane viz - probably at least 150'+ - just pristine. I noticed about 15 minutes into our dive below us an occasional shadow that would appear and disappear which was weird and ominous at first. Eventually a bunch of reef sharks worked their way up the wall and came up to see who was in their territory. There were four of us on the dive and we immediately buddied up with our backs against the wall becasue there were probably close to 80+ sharks. Eventually the sharks became more brave and started making advances towards us. They were mostly juveniles - 3-4' long, but the sheer number of them made us extremely uncomfortable. We methodically worked our way up the wall, and had to swim about 100+ft back to where we had anchored the boat inside the crater. We had to swim with our buddies tank to tank all the way towards the boat, surrounded by 100+ sharks now that were arching their backs, getting jittery and were clearly distressed we were in their territory. Since they were juveniles, they would get brave and suddenly veer straight towards us every so often. I had my spare reg out with my finger on the purge button and probably sent bubbles into the noses of about 17 sharks. They turned once they hit the bubble stream, but scary nonetheless. Crazy!

We made it back to the boat and I attached my weight belt to my BC and literally jumped out of my BC into the boat first and helped everyone back into the boat quickly - the same way. The sea was swimming with fins all around our boat. We ended up burning through most of the rest of our air on the way back to the boat. 100' seems like 100 miles when you are surrounded by sharks.

On another dive, we were fortunate to be able to dive on the Prinz Eugen which was the sister ship to the Bismark. The destroyer had turned over in a storm and was upside down with it's props sticking out of the air. As cool as the dive was swimming out to it, and walking on the hull and out to the props and getting our pictures taken on this ship. Underwater, when the ship turned over in a storm, the deck guns had fallen off and were in the sand upside down with the cabling dangling from the boat down to the guns. That was an awesome dive - we found the live torpedos, bunk rooms, galley, and lots of other cool stuff. When we got back to the dive shop, we learned that we weren't supposed to do penetration dives on the boat because it was off limits. We apologized, but when we told them initially with a guide that we were heading there, they didn't mention anything about no penetrating the ship. I had ropes and extra lights and strobes, and they didn't say a word. I've been told that the live munitions have been since removed. Beautiful dive in warm, pristine waters back in the 90's.

Here is a link to some pics. I can't find the one with me standing on the ship by the screws. :-(

https://goo.gl/photos/oJpQjHghwjLRi6Wn7
Check out my 80's Hair/Arena Rock show band - Hairstorm!
www.hairstormrocks.com
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sharks and Prinz Eugen in Kwajalein/Roi Namur

Post by Gdog »

Great stuff! The shark thing would be very disconcerting...lol. Great story tho. To be able to dive those pristine sites........sigh.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Sharks and Prinz Eugen in Kwajalein/Roi Namur

Post by Jan K »

Interesting report from waters which were my home for four years. I am happy to report, that I never encountered the shark mob as you did. The Reef sharks used to approach and then depart. You are lucky that they did not bite you. Tee arching backs are sign that they are ready to defend their territory. I met marine biologist on Enewetak Atoll who had scars on his hand after Gray Reef shark he was taking picture of bit him.
I do remember that penetration of the Prinz Eugen was a no no even 28 years ago.
Just to let you know, Prinz Eugen was not a sister ship to the Bismark which was a battleship. Eugen was a heavy cruiser accompanying the Bismark when they sunk British battlecruiser Hood and damaged the battleship Prince of Wales in May 1941.
Welcome to somewhat colder waters :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown