Keystone turned into SundRock

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Howdy fellow divers!

A group of us were supposed to be up in Barkley Sound this weekend but the trip was postponed due to high winds so we had to stay home! :angry:

A few of us (YellowEye, StephenMartin, JPA, Gdog & MrsGdog) decided to head to keystone yesterday (even though Pickles is closed Sunday!!) since the weather report said sun ball action and not bad wind or waves. :eric:

The weather report was not accurate we were met with crazy evil south winds, and big waves along the Jetty. The super cool Jan :luv: came by to say Hi, and advised the waves were gonna get worse later in the day. :eek:

So we decided to hop onto the Pt Townsend Ferry and head to Sund Rock to meet up with the H2oDr & Hoodsport diver. Unfortunately H2oDr couldn't make it but we ran into Dave & Beverly. :taco:

The water was smooth as glass up top! However down below the viz was not so good maybe like 7 feet ish until 60 feet down then it opened up. I got to spend time with the adorable squat lobsters! Here's one of my snaps!
It was a fun day! Almost 300 miles to do one dive at Sund! :) :partyman: :eric: :partydance: :taco:

I hope you all have a nice day!!! And fun week!
Attachments
IMG_4591.JPG
Happy Squat Lobster!!!
Happy Squat Lobster!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Keystone turned into SundRock

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dori and I decided to stay inland and drive to Yakima to see if we could get away from the rainy weather. We wanted to go hiking at Cowiche Canyon. Unfortunately we picked one of the five or six days a year it actually rains over there. It was gray, but dry when we got there ... but 20 minutes or so into the hike we looked across the canyon and saw a nasty squall headed our way, so we turned around and beat tracks toward the parking lot. Didn't make it ... got dumped on ... stopped in Ellensburg on the way home to buy some dry clothes.

400 miles round trip for a 45 minute hike. Some days are just like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yep.... :supz: :supz: next time
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

A few months ago I drove 174 miles (and $22.80 for the ferry) just to end up diving the I90 bridge in Lake Washington. That's North Bend to Keystone to Lake Washington then back to North Bend. Yep, it happens.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

It sounds like the vis in Hood Canal hasn't improved since last weekend. I took advantage of free time on Friday to dive at Sund Rock. Actually, I woke up that morning needing a change of scenery, so threw my gear into the truck and caught the 8:40 ferry from Edmonds. Finally arrived on site sometime after 10:00am, and enjoyed a leisurely dive along the fish pen and South walls. At least the vis opened up around 80ft down. But was rather craptastic at 60ft and above.
After lunch I decided the mediocre vis didn't warrant a second dive, and headed back home.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

GearHead...
If you get to going to the site that late again...let me know...
I would love to dive a bit later as I work late at night.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Sure thing Kirsten. Getting there later in the day during the week works fine. On the weekends, you need to be early to get one of the limited parking passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk