Alki Junk Yard

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Alki Junk Yard

Post by H20doctor »

Hit the yard with Stephen Martin , and he has never , ever scuba dived here ... Say What ? :arsespank: So i wanted to snap some shots of sea spiders and this is the place to do that.. And He also hadnt any fil footage of these creepy thing either so that was a double cool bonus ... Slack was at 745 pm so we got to the site at 6 ish and found some good parking.. the wind and waves had died down so the water was decent on getting in , Viz was tasty Clear .. We had some south current as we hit the eel grass and i was thinking in my head , I hope we dont have current the whole time.. last dives with Jess and Eric we had dealt with some stiff stuff.. But i knew we were in early for slack and it would settle down ... and after about 20 mins into the dive , it calmed down to a dead stop ...
swimming out just as the eel grass ended i spotted a striped nudi and i was like Ohhhhhh , nice i want to stop and film it , but then i was NOOOOO , we are here for sea spiders !! and i had to get to the Goal here and not get side tracked... So down to 45 feet and i started to look for the mossy patched of sea weed stuff... If you want to find the spiders here , you need to look for this stuff, its what they all hang out on .. So i found one and signaled over stephen , and then he got set up with his camera ... i went a few feet over and found another spider..
spider 1.JPG
spider.JPG
spider2.JPG
i only saw about 4 spider on this dive and the majority of them were very small ... like really small , and im amazed i even got shots on them with my macro lens ... After that i checked over at my film guy .. yep still there on the spider , still filming :popcorn: .. I found a red octo and took a couple of him
octo.JPG
octo1.JPG
So i had nudi on the brain and i knew that they were here , it was just a matter of me swimming around to find them ..... and there He was .. Mr stripped Nudi ... just moving in the sand taking his time to get to where he was going...
nudi.JPG
nudi1.JPG
nudi2.JPG
I took way too many photos of this guy ... but the water was clear and still so it made the photos come out nicely
bw nudi.JPG
nudi3.JPG
i found Stephen again and he was set up on something so i took a look on his external video monitor and it was a strippe dnudi just sitting completely burried and the only thing you could see was his head peeking out of the sand .. it was pretty cool how it was just sitting there.. like a person sitting out on a deck overlooking a nice view ..
head shot.JPG
It was getting close to my tank being empty ... 500 psi and 72 mins for a diver here and on the way up i found this guy just sitting
fish head.JPG
next thing i know he is under sand ...
burried.JPG
then at the safety stop we saw one of those Green Buggy things ..looks like a centipede with legs .. super cool ..

AND THIS IS NOT A NUDI !!!!!!
not a nudi.JPG
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Alki Junk Yard

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool...
Sounds like the junkyard delivered again!
Like your snaps.. and yeah, not a nudi... definitely not a nudi!!!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Thanks for taking me on the spider tour. The viz was exceptionally nice. None of my footage came out really well. Will have to try again. Super macro is tough! Those spiders are cool and weird! Great shots!

Will have to lookup what that green insect like looking creature was on the eel grass at the end.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice!

I too, have never done the Junkyard. :arsespank:

I blame Seattle traffic.... :axe:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
GearHead
Submariner

Alki Junk Yard

Post by GearHead »

I did the West Seattle reef once from a charter, but I've also never dove the Junkyard. Seattle traffic indeed - it's no longer feasible to make the Seacrest coves on a week night, and weekend trips need to be really early to avoid the tourists and OW classes.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

GearHead wrote:I did the West Seattle reef once from a charter, but I've also never dove the Junkyard. Seattle traffic indeed - it's no longer feasible to make the Seacrest coves on a week night, and weekend trips need to be really early to avoid the tourists and OW classes.
I agree the parking at Cove 2 is ridiculous and it's incredibly difficult to find parking these days... I'd rather drive down the street and do a dive at the pipeline or try to get in at the junkyard... that whole area is very popular with people the beaches the walks and the views make it hard for parking.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool shots! It's always nice to see the spiders :-)

Also ahhaha not a nudi had me laughing.
Have a good weekend!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very cool guys! Great spider shots, and I loved all the nudity pics, especially that last one the yellow one.