Sund Rock 4/15

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Sund Rock 4/15

Post by theonly_JT »

Well I decided it was finally time for me to make the trek Sund Rock this weekend and man was it worth it!!

I picked up mannyland at 7:30am, an hour of the day he doesnt often see on the weekends, but nontheless he managed to get his gear in the car and we were off. Greeted by a beautiful sunny morning drive to Hood Canal, Mannyland promptly fell asleep... No surprise there... :rofl:
GOPR3305.JPG
We planned to meet divernick at Hoodsport N dive at 9:30 but we made great time and were a lil bit early so we went and got some food from Hoodsport Coffee Co. while we waited. By a little after 10am we had our passes and were in the parking lot gearing up for an epic morning of diving. The sun was shining, the water looked clear, and nick was showing off his newly discovered pee valve :popcorn:

Gearing up in the blaring sunshine was a cruel reminder of how wicked hot its going to be in a few months..... :angry: but it was still totally worth it.
It was high tide and for the first dive we planned to hit the south wall so we made our way down the stairs and swam out around the corner. Well we tried to swim around the corner anyway, some annoying surface currents didnt let that happen and we dropped early.

Now is when I started to wonder if this is the same Sund Rock that some of you guys went to last week... because....we dropped into a crystal (well almost) clear aquarium. THE VISIBILITY WAS EPIC!!!!!!
GOPR3313-0001.jpg
Wolf eels left and right, young rockfish everywhere, gigantic plumose anemones the diameter of my leg, painted greenlings, nudis, the list goes on and on on :partydance:

Now I havent really gotten to see an adult Wolfie yet so this was a magical dive for me. The south wall yielded 4 total wolfies with a bottom time of 68min max depth of 78ft and an estimated viz of 30ft+.
Sund Rock topside.jpg
Que surface interval, back to hoodsport n' dive to get more wight for mannyland and pick up my filled tank for dive #2. Time for the North Wall!!! The tide had gone out a fair bit by then but the water still looked great. We again dropped into wolf eel heaven!!!! :popcorn: This dive we saw maybe 7 or more of them along the wall and one even came out and swam right by me. Superrrr awesometacular!!!!!! :supz: After making out way along the wall I saw the sea whips off in the distance soooo obviously i had to go check them out too.
GOPR3343-0001.jpg
Back to the wall to say my goodbyes to the wolfies and Mannyland had 3min of NDL time... this is what he gets for not bringing Nitrox, or having his nitrox cert for that matter. Divernick and I had plentyyy of time left so we stayed to play with the wolfies a little more :neener: . Poor mannyland looked so sad having to hover 25ft above us while we finished our dive. The viz was down a little from the first dive but was still superb by local and recent standards, probably a solid 20ft or better. 58min. Max depth 75fsw. Avg depth 55fsw. Water temp 48F
GOPR3349-0002.jpg
GOPR3347-0003.jpg
GOPR3345-0001.jpg
Sund Rock 4/15. Huge success.

-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock 4/15

Post by Scubak »

Great pics...
I have to get out to Sund Rock soon as it has been way too long...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

What a difference a week makes. Glad you guys had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Saweet!!! :partydance: :taco: :popcorn: :supz:
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

The viz looks AMAZING!! I'm so envious!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super Awesome!! Lucky with the nice viz!!!! Did you see any Squat Lobsters?
Also I'm glad you stopped by Hoodsport Coffee! I love that place. :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

ScubaJess wrote:Super Awesome!! Lucky with the nice viz!!!! Did you see any Squat Lobsters?
Also I'm glad you stopped by Hoodsport Coffee! I love that place. :-)
Yes I did!! they were hiding pretty deep under some rocks but I saw their little claws poking out!! :supz:
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle