Bonaire – April/May 2017

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Bonaire – April/May 2017

Post by Tom Nic »

Well, I'm back again.

Perhaps I'm a creature of habits and given to getting into ruts. No doubt.

Perhaps I've found the most beautiful underwater world that I can access within the constraints of my time and budget. That is certain!

Either way, Bonaire continually beckons. Trip #11 I think?!

For me it is primarily about the diving freedom. Certified as a shore diver in Puget Sound 11 years ago I love grabbing gear and tanks and saying "Where shall we dive today?" We have an abundance of riches in the PNW in that regard. In any case, 80 marked sites and a bunch more options for where to dive have me like a kid in a candy store. I just can't get enough.

And I'm a critter guy and love honing my camera skills with the equipment I can afford. And Bonaire has critters... well, wow...

I also love observing the critter behavior, and as anyone who has watched our underwater life closely and slowly can attest to one begins to recognize behaviors – mating, feeding, fighting, hunting, cleaning and being cleaned – that allow you to watch and wait for what you know is coming next. You begin to know where something will be because you recognize its habitat and what it feeds on. And then there are the "unexpected" encounters, a hunting moray, a cruising manta, porpoises on your surface swim – even being buzzed by a kite boarder.

It all adds up to delight and joy, and reminding myself of that keeps cynicism and "been there / seen that" from eroding the magic that is the underwater world.

Slower, closer, look carefully, all add up to seeing things you've never seen even though they've been in front of your eyes since the beginning.

And one week is NOT enough... so I don't even bother scheduling a trip unless I can come for two weeks.

Over the years I've had the privilege of sharing a Bonairean domicile with many of you – although it seems as though it's been getting harder to get schedules to mesh. Thanks to Pogiguy05 for carving a couple weeks out of his time to be a good dive buddy on my favorite island.

I'll post a few pics at a time that caught my eye and heart. If you're impatient or have a lot of time on your hands you can find what's been uploaded in the link below.

So... one week in the log book, one more to go! :partydance:

In the meantime, what are you reading this for?!? Get out and dive! :taco:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Bonaire – April/May 2017

Post by Gdog »

Bonaire rocks, looking forward to your pics and report! Did you eat a rib for me yet at the Rib Factory?!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Bonaire rocks, looking forward to your pics and report! Did you eat a rib for me yet at the Rib Factory?!
You know it! Plus a tenderloin skewer. And sugar free Gio's!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i have been enjoying the pics from you and jeff over on facebook .. you guys are diving machines when it comes to bonaire and a truck full of tanks , and so many shore sites to hit.. dont forget to post your Keeper pics here so we can see and enjoy the blue tropical waters of the island ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 on that
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Well, we are one week in to a 2 week trip. It is really nuts... I ended up sandwiching this trip in between several other commitments - in hindsight not too bright. Anyway, somewhat exhausted, 22 dives in, getting ready to head out for some ribs, then back at it in the morning. Not that I should complain of course!

Here's a couple of pics in the meantime...

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fun!!!!!!! Great snaps!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip :)
I love the Turtle shot!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome report Tom! :taco: :popcorn: :calvin:
So glad you made it out there and are enjoying yourself silly!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great stuff!! Thanks for posting some pics, keep em coming!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Typical Day:

Up whenever, pack a small lunch (cheese, pepperoni sticks, and macadamia nuts, yay keto!), toss gear into truck which is preloaded with 10 tanks from the night before.

Head to a dive site, 60 to 75 minute dive, swap out tanks, then a HOT freshwater shower from the 8 or 9 2 liter Coke bottles that are sitting in the bed of the pick up, take off wet salty shirt, get some sun, put on a dry shirt or stay shirtless (depending on sun), move over a short distance to the next dive site, walk in and start kicking out. Dive 2 comes with around a 30 to 40 minute interval (most of our dive time is spent in the 20 to 40 fsw range with perhaps a bounce to 100 fsw for a few minutes to view the panorama of the reef) and again 60 - 75 minutes underwater. Computer happy, I'm happy! Park in shade or make your own for an hour quick lunch, then repeat two more times.

Then before you head home swing by your dive op, swap out empties, analyze the next day's bottle's and head home! We almost always bring a couple extra tanks because of the inevitable crappy O-ring or dinged yoke valve that crops up every couple days.

So a typical day is 4 dives, and depending on your start time you are back at your apartment between 2 and 5 PM, ready for dinner and photo processing and battery charging.

This is where Bassman, if he were here, would pop up and say "NIGHT DIVE? NIGHT DIVE?!?". :smt064 But after over 250 dives in Bonaire usually 4 is enough, as we are, after all on vacation.

This seems like a solid, workable routine that will get your through a week's diving by adding or deleting according to the capabilities / (age!) of the those in your dive group!

A gorgeous, perfectly shaped Elkhorn coral, alas, not as common as days gone by.

We've found several very large anchors on this trip. Tip - dive the "muck dive" sites in the city and you'll run into them often.

I've seen lots of Porcupine Fish, but this was my first Balloonfish, and we've found two. Cute little buggers!

And finally - who could get tired of these beauties?

OK, that's enough for today... thanks for reading this far!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Thank you Tom, great report, and of course photos to go with it :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jan K wrote:Thank you Tom, great report, and of course photos to go with it :)
You are welcome Jan!

Well, after finding some benadryl and ibuprofen I managed to medicate enough for 4 more dives today. We had a magical encounter with a Midnight Parrotfish, and I just had to share a couple pics! Don't see these guys very often, and when I do they usually don't pose!

This Spotted Drum managed to hold still long enough to have its picture taken!

So, that and a Blue Tang being cleaned are enough for tonight! Thanks for reading - goodnight!

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Swwweeeeeettt...love it!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

very nice ..Love The colors and the fish
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Swwweeeeeettt...love it!
H20doctor wrote:very nice ..Love The colors and the fish
Thanks guys!

Chris I wish I had your video skills / rig here - so much to shoot!

By the way, I should give a shout out to http://fisheyephoto.com/

I pinched the sync chord to my flash, and did not have a spare. They had what I needed, and more, and were extremely helpful. The owner also really has the heart of a teacher, something I really notice and appreciate. I learned more with a 10 minute conversation with this guy (Tim, I think? Terrible with names....) than in hours of reading.

Although beware, your wallet will begin to twitch uncontrollably every time you drop by because of the extra equipment that you just HAVE to have! :burntchef:
Last edited by Tom Nic on Fri May 05, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ScubaJess wrote:Fun!!!!!!! Great snaps!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip :)
I love the Turtle shot!
Thanks Jess! Here's a couple more.... We have found a few young Green Turtles - just gorgeous with the brilliant colors of their youth. They also are pretty relaxed, and if you don't flail about in the water column will tolerate you swimming with them at a manageable pace (for an old guy!).

This Loggerhead Turtle must be a resident. I'm sure I saw him last year, and I heard of at least one other NW Diveclubber who has seen him deep as well. He is huge, and old... Not the best picture, but you can get a sense of how big he is.

And to complete the species trifecta, although again, not the best picture, here is a mature Hawksbill that we found swimming by when we did the deep drop on The Rock.

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic & Lucky to see those cuties!! I wish I was there! :-)
Tell them hi for me.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome job on the green turtle shots!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

See any little sharp nose puffers?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Thanks Tom , i hope to get there someday..
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Wonderful photos, Tom!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ScubaJess wrote:WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic & Lucky to see those cuties!! I wish I was there! :-)
Tell them hi for me.
Me too!

And done on the hello - Call me weird, but I talk to the critters... :tomnic: :) :bye: :eric:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Awesome job on the green turtle shots!
Thank you sir! They are some of my favorites!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:Thanks Tom , i hope to get there someday..
I hope you do as well, and if I happen to be on that trip I will call myself lucky!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ScubaJess wrote:See any little sharp nose puffers?
Seen, yes. Photographed, no. My rig is not the best for tiny macro, and those darn little guys just don't hold still!

These guys are a little more sedentary!

I swear, this Greater Soapfish has to be the "laziest" fish ever! At least to my untrained eye....

Even this Fireworm moves faster if you don't line up your shot quick!