Keystone Jetty 5/20

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Keystone Jetty 5/20

Post by theonly_JT »

I’m sure you’ve all been dying to know, JT how was Keystone!? hahahaha probably nobody but here ya go anyways!
_DSC0663.JPG
Tides looked great and the weather forecast finally showed some sun so I convinced Manyland to come along with me for his first keystone dives. As I’ve mentioned in past posts he’s not really a “morning” person….so we tried to make the 8am andddd missed it. :angry: Caught the 8:30 over to Whidbey, made a pitstop at Pickles Deli and finally made it to the jetty. The water looked super calm and a great yellow orb in the sky was blinding me. Oh wait no, that was just the sun. :rofl:

Dive #1 we hit the jetty on a slightly low tide and enjoyed mediocre viz, probably 15ft There a decent amount of kelp starting to grow in the shallows and NUDI’S EVERYWHERE. Mostly super small ones but they were all over the place. Not many rockfish and didn’t see any octos but the macro life was superb. Only a slight amount of current near the end of the jetty.
GOPR3891-0002.jpg
66min later we took a land break to swap the tanks and eat my delicious sandwich from Pickels. Mannyland decided to take a little nap on the beach in his drysuit while I played around with my DSLR, something I haven’t done in ages. :supz:
_DSC0689.JPG
_DSC0667.JPG
Wake up sleeping beauty, gear up, now off to the pilings.
Current picked up a little bit but all was well. Found a juvenile wolfie curled up in a hole that we hung out with for a little bit. Apparently, right next to him was a decent sized octo that Mannyland saw moving rocks out of its den. I CANT BELIEVE I missed it!!!!!
GOPR3916-0001.jpg
There were lots of cool little jellies passing by in the currents and the usual enormous barnacles reaching out grabbin sacks, and more greenling than I remember seeing last time. After an hour we were back in the beach. But the weather was too good to leave quite yet…..sooo frisbee obviously.

Super fun moment on the ferry home: Spotted a pod of Orcas :taco:

Yeah, you could say it was a good day

ps. Video to follow so stay tuned....
Attachments
GOPR3910-0002.jpg
_DSC0714.JPG
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Keystone Jetty 5/20

Post by ScubaJess »

OMG!!! That's awesome! Sorry we missed you we were busy having an away mission at the San Juans onboard the Sampan (Banditos)!

That's sooooo cool about the pickles and Orcas!!! Hope to dive with y'all soon :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

JT, very very cool, great report and pics! And what a day for that trip!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

JT,
What a great trip and photos...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sorry I missed it!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Great report JT!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**