Skyline, Critter ID

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Skyline, Critter ID

Post by fmerkel »

Did a dive at Skyline today. Lousy viz but decent critter action. Found a shrimp like critter I've never seen, about 1/2 inch. Could not ID in the big [Crabs and Shrimps of the Pacific Coast] book by Greg Jensen.
Also found a dark gray sponge (I think) about the size of a tennis ball, with small crabs? living in the pores. There were 2 sponges fairly close together.
_7020080.jpg
_7020078.jpg
Color of the sponge did not come out like it looked to the naked eye but otherwise the pix is pretty good. Could not ID sponge or crab.
With all the plankton in the water the sea cucumbers were on an eating binge. Saw several juvenile wolf eels and one diver saw a PS King Crab larger than anything he's ever seen before.
Attachments
_7020106.jpg
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Skyline, Critter ID

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool. Looks like a really mad squat lobster.
Also really neat crab! Good job finding those guys. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great find. Don't know the second critter, the first one is a Tube Dwelling Sea Flea:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Hoping for an ID, I get an education. Fantastic! You are the best.
I assumed they were using the 'sponge' opportunistically, not making it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I received a response from Andy Lamb. The colorful 'flea' is [Thorlakson's short rostrum amphipod Thorlaksonius brevirostris -- which is not in the hard copy of our book. However, it has been added to our online product. The book is now 12 years old and in the interim, we have added over 100 species and a great many photographs which are available with the online version.]

He's referring to the on line version of "Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest" which you can subscribe to.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.