Neah Bay Away Mission

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Neah Bay Away Mission

Post by ScubaJess »

Star Date: 2017072.9
Location: Neah Bay, WA, Planet Earth, United Federation of Planets
Water Temp : 46'F
Dives: 417 & 418

Science Officers Log,

I was lucky enough to beam down to Neah Bay :luv: with my fellow science office YellowEye last weekend :notworthy: (such a great dive buddy). It was one of the most beautiful places I've encountered on my ongoing Trek to discover strange new worlds and seek out new life forms. We had near perfect conditions, the sun was out in full force, the wind was not bad and the tides were timed perfectly. We beamed down 61 feet below seawater off the Waadah Island Fingers West Wall and East Wall (Tiger Reef). I was able to make contact with several Rockfish, my favorites included the Tiger Rockfish and the China Rockfish, they were very friendly and swam right up to me to say hi :luv: :eric: . The water was a beautiful turquoise color and the visibility was 50-60 feet :eek: :partydance: :eric: . There was life covering all of the rocks. So many neat Hydroids, Anemones, giant barnacles, etc... but only one shrimp.

After the dives we beamed over to Cape Flattery to see the wild Puffins!!!! :hearteyes: :eric: :partydance: :luv: :popcorn: It was a beautiful hike with green on top of green, so many ferns and old trees line the walk out to the beach overlook points.

It was fantastic! I cannot wait to go back! I hope you guys can make it over there sometime to check it out! :joshsmith: :pirate: :eric:

P.S. Note to self and others, always make sure your camera battery is fully charged before you a beam under 61 feet of water at one of the most Epic dive sites around. I didn't get to take any macro shots :( , but was able to use YellowEye's wide angle camera and snuck in one good snap.
Attachments
YellowEye with his new external monitor for his UW Camera
YellowEye with his new external monitor for his UW Camera
Our cool dive boat, thanks to Captain Bill for taking us out!
Our cool dive boat, thanks to Captain Bill for taking us out!
Cape Flattery is stunning!
Cape Flattery is stunning!
Plumose Garden at Neah Bay
Plumose Garden at Neah Bay
Sooooo Sunny at the Waadah Island!
Sooooo Sunny at the Waadah Island!
Our camp site for the night after the dive thanks to Knee Deep for letting us crash at Lake Crescent, it was also super beautiful!
Our camp site for the night after the dive thanks to Knee Deep for letting us crash at Lake Crescent, it was also super beautiful!
Cape Flattery
Cape Flattery
Cape Flattery
Cape Flattery
Cape Flattery
Cape Flattery
Real Life wild Puffins on the US West Coast!
Real Life wild Puffins on the US West Coast!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Neah Bay Away Mission

Post by YellowEye »

What a great trip. I haven't been out there for several years, and even though this was a long road trip for two dives (plus one on the way back at PT), I was so thankful and happy to go!

Great meeting some new buddies, and thanks again for Leanne letting us crash her site at Neah, then Coll and Janny for letting us crash on their epic Crescent Lake campsite!

I heard a rumor that Bill has some openings for this weekend still. Check out Bill's website... If you can make it... go!!! (advanced diving with marker buoy skills required)

-Eric
DSC_6601.jpg
Attachments
DSC_6558.jpg
DSC_6368.jpg
DSC_6353.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow, looks really good! Glad you guys had a great time, great shots! Oh, and Jess, one thing, make sure you always charge your camera and strobe batteries up before any trip. Just a reminder!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Gdog wrote:Wow, looks really good! Glad you guys had a great time, great shots! Oh, and Jess, one thing, make sure you always charge your camera and strobe batteries up before any trip. Just a reminder!
Yes I agree, it turns out we have a bad battery! I just ordered a new one for Gods Pocket! :)

I wish we could take you with us!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ok first of all, Puffins in WA?!! That is too cool.

Glad my cousins, aka China Rockfish, were so friendly.

Sucks on the dead battery. There are like a million things to remember to do with UW photography, grrrr.

I LOVE the plumose garden pic!!

Thanks for the excellent log, you two!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Neah Bay is amazing, and when the stars align and viz and currents cooperate the diving is absolutely epic!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman