epic Redondo dive ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

epic Redondo dive ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Every once in a while I hit the jackpot at Redondo. Last night was one of those times. Met my dive buddy Michael Wong at aroung 5:30, and hit the water about 6:15. Vis was crap down to about 50 feet, where it opened up to 10-12 feet, and got progressively (slightly) better as we went deeper.

Found a GPO in one of the rock piles I put down on the south side a few years ago. As we proceeded down toward the bottle field I managed to startle a dogfish that apparently didn't realize I was there until I raised my camera to attempt a pic. I think the focus light got its attention, and in its haste to beat a retreat the damn thing thumped right into me. Never did get a picture.

A few moments later, Michael roused a giant skate ... maybe three feet across tip-to-tip. We swam with it for a couple minutes while I took pictures. I haven't seen one of those in years, and thought it would be the highlight of the dive. I was mistaken.

Proceeded down deeper. We both had doubles (me in my sidemount, and Michael in backmount) and were planning to go deep and stay long. Got down into the trough at about 100 feet, then started working our way back upslope. At around 80 feet, a sixgill shark made a slow pass just a couple feet in front of us. I'd been shooting a pic of a grunt sculpin, and barely had time to get my camera up, much less change settings, as it swam straight toward me. I took a quick shot and got the hell out of its way as it swam between the two of us. Then it turned around and made another pass. I hastily changed settings, pushed my strobes out as far as they'd go, and tried again. But of course I had on the wrong lens ... luckily it was the zoom and not the macro, so I was able to get at least a decent head shot. As I was photoing the shark, I noticed a lure being jigged a couple feet in front of my face. Apparently in chasing the shark we'd managed to swim up to where the fishermen on the dock could reach us (about 75 feet depth) and they were intentionally casting into our bubbles. So we had to quit following the shark and move away before something bad happened.

Following north at a depth of 80-85 feet, we made it to the carousel boat, and began following the rope upslope. I jigged off a bit to go check out the tires and found a bright orange juvi wolf eel. Stayed with it for a couple minutes (by now we were into deco), and then headed further upslope. Stopped by to visit with a decorated warbonnet at the north end of the sewer pipe, then slowly made our way back into the soup and upslope at the MAST. Altogether a 75-minute dive of pretty much non-stop cool stuff ... one of my better Redondo dives in a while.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Re: epic Redondo dive ...

Post by McGlencoe »

Awesome pics. Love the shot of the six gill looking head-on.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Oh heck yeah! Awesome!!! Very nice shots, too! Great report Bob
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool! Man you got so lucky!!! :-)
Really nice pics!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have been there quite a lot and have never had anything close to that experience! I love seeing the 6 gill! It does seem like more are being seen lately? Maybe there is a cylce comig with them making more visits again?

Just awesome pictures!
The best things in life are not things
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

NO WAY!!!!! super super jealous!!!!!!!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

congrats Bob. couldn't have happened to a better guy!
:supz:

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Simply Amazing!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

If anyone deserved that happening at Redondo, it's you Bob.

Mike on the other hand....
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

That's awesome! Great pics!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Epic indeed! That in-your-face shark is amazing...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

Wow! That's a dive worth dreaming about! Thanks for the detailed report.