Deception Pass 8.30

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Deception Pass 8.30

Post by H20doctor »

the tides once again were good for a week of sensitive currents sites and Hopefully you all made it out to one of them... On the menu for me , A 2 fer Deception pass , And then over to skyline... on Board with me was the super stud muffin Yellow eye and his 600 lb camera of death .. I had arrived a tad bit late to the lot 1030 , and Yellow eye was already in the water ... i quickly huffed my scooter down to the water and left it on the beach ... Im never comfortable doing that :eek: , back to the car quickly get the gear on ... sun is heating me up , then the walk back down the trail to the water to find a guy eyeing my scooter , couple of questions he wants answered .. yada yada .. gotta get in the water.. Now the funny part as im on the surface floating around the first cove here come 4 people on Paddle boards ...? and im thinking to myself , do these people know where they are ??? this is not the p[ace to be doing that ..
I make it to my designated spot .. the power lines , and hit the dump valve , and get situated in the kelp at 15 feet .. Now the Viz isnt that good , silty 15 feet , but its pretty typical for this place and My goal today , to explore the deep parts of the pass with my scooter... I play around a bit in the 45 ish to the 60 zone .. and then head my way down to 100 feet ... Here I found Large rock boulder formations covered in old growth barnacles.. i also found large smooth shelf areas covered in High current anemones... there was some soft current pushing me east to cornet bay , but once it switched i had quite the dead zone down here for about 15 mins ...
I made my way back to 45 feet and found some deep in croppings that i haven't seen before , almost a cave , but more like a massive hole , i found a nice Ravine cut in the rocks and viewed some Large massive black rocks swimming up and down the cut like it was there home .. Brooding anemones, my favorite sponge things, that look like tube fingers , i found the tube worm forest , small crabs , a Large Heat crab , strawberry anemones , white plumose walls of delight ... this place has it all ... I eventually found yellow eye , and tried to pose for him , as an underwater dive Model ... Then i wanted to do something that i had only done 1 other time , I wanted to stay , and experience some wicked current and film it .. So i picked a spot , and let it build and build on me ... i first stayed using High gear on my magnus .. when the magnus couldn't keep me on the spot , i clipped off , and grabbed the rocks ... It was intense, strong , and powerful ... once my regs started free flowing , i got out and scootered back to entry Point .. back on the shore Yellow eye was freeking still under water !!!! he did 80 mins :taco: :taco:
So it was a good dive , i did something new here and next up was Skyline ..

https://youtu.be/S3Sgb8-EWH0
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Deception Pass 8.30

Post by fmerkel »

Nice video. Interesting ending.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Wow, nice footage, but I leave the high current and deep water to you young guys :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

You guys are crazy cool!
I like the part about the 600 LBS camera! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

It was 85 minutes Chris, 85 minutes!!

Great vid!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

That last bit in the current looks fun.
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

That looks so cool!!! The current seems to be ripping pretty good!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Doc, you crayyyyyyzzeeee