Salt Creek Sept 16/17

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Salt Creek Sept 16/17

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy
StphnMartin, ScubaJess and I went for some diving/camping at Salt Creek last weekend. Emerald Sea dive club was also there so we got to meet and chat with a bunch of those guys. They were super nice, they even gave us one of their campsites. JMartel and his wife joined us for a dive there Sunday too.

If you haven't been to or heard of Salt Creek, it is on a beautiful part of the Straight of Juan de Fuca, near Port Angeles. The beach has a small rocky bluff with some nice cuts, and a spire off shore. The site experiences a lot of surge and waves, and entry can be difficult. However once you're in, if you are a type of person who can stand a little surge, it's a truly magical place when the conditions are good.

Saturday, the conditions were great -- great viz, sun shine above, and not too much surge! :partydance: :taco: :calvin: It was so beautiful out there! I did a 100 minute dive followed by a 120 minute dive.

Sunday, the conditions were rougher, viz went down, surge went up. We only did one dive about 90 min.

There are three distinct zones to the site
1) surge zone -- this area is filled with boa kelp, surfgrass, green anemones, perch, barnacles, muscles, pink corral, and if you're lucky ROCK GREENLINGS. I wasn't so lucky (never have been!) but somebody from ESDC was lucky to see a Rocky! The surge zone is beautiful but can be quite a ride.
2) kelp zone -- a thick kelpy area, with 3-8 foot deep surge trenches underneath where you can find all sorts of cool critters. Baby orange peel nudibranch is one example. There are also lots of green, purple, red urchins. In some areas the urchins have mowed the kelp, but overall the kelp is very thick and healthy
3) open zone -- out past the kelp, there's a flatter area with some small rock shelves, boulders and cuts. Giant fish-eating anemones are the main attraction here, but you'll also see urchin, rockfish, greenling, mosshead warbonnets, longfin sculpin, glassy plume hydroids (Plumularia setacea, one of my faves), seastars, etc,

There were also beautiful jellies floating thru the area -- tons of cross jellies, but also an egg yolk jelly and a red eye medusa (!)

Here were some of my snaps:
DSC_0818.jpg
DSC_1157.jpg
DSC_1849.jpg
DSC_1937.jpg
DSC_2245.jpg
DSC_3198.jpg
DSC_3382.jpg
It was a great weekend! I need to get out there more often...
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Salt Creek Sept 16/17

Post by ScubaJess »

wow!!! Those are stunning. I love all the colors and the clear water, it looks tropical. Really nice work!!
I also love glassy plume hydroids they remind me of tribbles!

That surge killed me. I cannot do it, but I really wanted too!
It was so much fun diving/camping/shore support with you guys!
Cannot wait to see Stephens video also :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Super beautiful Eric! Saturday was really a great day all around topside and beneath the water. I'll get to the Salt Creek video once the Komodo video is complete!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Eric, that is some of your best work yet. Simply outstanding. Dang! Awesome!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Those pictures are unreal Eric!!!! Amazing!!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great photography Eric. You got your wide angle mastered! :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks for the kind words!
Let's go diving!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great shots ,looks like a nice dive
It's a good day.... nobody died!