Clear Lake Oregon (Linn Co.)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Clear Lake Oregon (Linn Co.)

Post by McGlencoe »

I snuck in a quick dive down in Clear Lake (Linn Co) OR on Monday.

It was beautiful, clear and cold!

Viz 100'+
52 min. dive
Max depth 58'
39* max low temp
41* average temp

We spent most of the time scootering the shallow north end of the lake, checking out the little craters and pockets. We did drop down to the deep end towards the end of the dive, but the viz drops off dramatically and we were pretty dang cold by then, so we didn't spend much time on the south side.

Would love to get back there again and do a few dives, though I think a suit heater will be in the gear bag before doing that dive again.
Last edited by McGlencoe on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Clear Lake Oregon (Linn Co.)

Post by theonly_JT »

So jealous! I've been wanting to make the trip down there, was even considering going down there this weekend.

The viz was down in the deeper end you said? How down are we talkin here? Did the campground look full??
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Wait till you Dive Mowich Lake near Mt Rainier, at depth was 38d, even with a vest heater, it was cold.... Although I wasnt diving with Argon last time.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

theonly_JT wrote:So jealous! I've been wanting to make the trip down there, was even considering going down there this weekend.

The viz was down in the deeper end you said? How down are we talkin here? Did the campground look full??

Campground was empty JT.

Viz was still 30' or so down at 58', but looked cloudier the deeper it got. We were just plain cold, fingers weren't gripping the scooter trigger very well by then, so we headed back.

Just to be CLEAR (pun intended) this is the Clear Lake down in Linn county, off the McKenzie Hwy, not the Clear Lake off Hwy 26 near Mt. hood.