Lake Wenatchee 10/14

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Lake Wenatchee 10/14

Post by theonly_JT »

Lake Wenatchee was pretty much a home away from home while i was growing up and still is. So obviously I had to bring the dive gear up on my trip to Oktoberfest in Leavenworth this past weekend. Mannyland and I planned to dive off a friends dock and just see what was down there. We knew there was a very steep entry and weren't sure how deep the slope would go so we. According to a chart I found I was expecting a steep drop to 80ft and beyond. Turn out it sort of planes out near 45ft, then just a flat sandy bottom as far as we could see. Really not a lot down there a few large freshwater mussels, a few beer cans and the occasional tree stump. No fish were seen, 1 medium size crayfish.

viz was pretty good maybe 30ft. Water temp was 54. No real thermocline, perhaps if we had pursued deeper or found a drop off. 35min dive due to not wanting to bore our other friends while we played in the water.

Overall 10/10 would recommend diving a lake you grew up in.
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Lake Wenatchee 10/14

Post by Tangfish »

Sweet, great to hear you exploring your own (former) backyard!
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Re: Lake Wenatchee 10/14

Post by JJHACK »

Most of us seem to be driven to saltwater. Myself included and for obvious reasons. There are some good lake dives especially in the fall. Thanks for the report.

I often view them as a treasure hunt more than a wildlife viewing dive. People seem to drop all sorts of things in the water. Mostly rubbish but now and then something interesting. A number of times I have found things people must have been really upset to lose at the time.

An old film camera, a near full tackle box, fishing rods, a lantern, landing net. Etc etc. still no giant diamond ring though!
The best things in life are not things