Cove 2 2017/10/22 - GPO on Eggs and Medusafish

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Full Gallery

A dive buddy of mine had told me about a GPO brooding her eggs at Cove 2 a couple weeks ago. Finally made it out there with the macro lens yesterday. The GPO is just on the inside of the boundary line at ~75 feet at lowish tide under a giant block. There are two crevices where you can see the octo, but you have to really stick your head down to get a decent look. Was able to squeeze off a couple decent photos.

We started to make our way back up slowly. Then at 60 feet, I spotted a big jellyfish in the distance. Good viz. ~20 ft. It turned out to be a lion's mane jellyfish. So swam up to it to get some detail shots when we found that a fish was swimming through the tentacles. It didn't look hurt or stunned. It was actively trying to hide from the camera within the tentacles.

Greg Jensen (thanks again!) helped identify it in this thread as a medusafish, which is apparently a super rare find. Would have stuck around longer, but my buddy was close to his no deco limit. Made our way back to shore from there.

Had all sorts of annoying issues with one of my strobes and trying to light the octo. All worth it, though!
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!! That’s what you get when you dive a lot :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Scubie Doo on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Cove 2 2017/10/22 - GPO on Eggs and Medusafish

Post by Tangfish »

Sweet photos! Very sharp detail. Those eggs look large.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Re: Cove 2 2017/10/22 - GPO on Eggs and Medusafish

Post by stphnmartin »

Great report and shots Derek. Sweet find!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X