Sund Rock 11/26

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Sund Rock 11/26

Post by jmartel »

My wife and I had been planning on going to Keystone yesterday, until we saw the wind forecast. Not wanting to waste some rental tanks for our second dive, we decided to go to Sund Rock since we hadn't been there before.

First dive we did the south wall. Got in and once we got under the hazy thermocline layer around 15-20ft, vis opened up to about 20ft. Just about as soon as we got down onto the top part of the wall, the wolf eels were everywhere. I counted at least 5 free-swimming, and another 10+ poking out of holes.

Dropped down to the bottom of the wall and continued south for a bit, and just when we decided to turn around, we came across a wasted GPO on the bottom. Not sure whether it had wasted after laying/caring for eggs or if it was something else. Wasn't expecting it, though. Came back and did a couple wide angle shots of the shallower life.

As this was my wife's 100th dive, I grabbed a few photos for the occasion.

Apparently my wife's suit has been leaking more and more lately, and she was soaked after dive 1. So, I ended up doing dive #2 solo. Having never done the site before, I opted to stick to hanging around the shallower sections of the south wall again rather than explore somewhere new. Visibility had dropped down to about 10ft, with occasional more open patches, and the majority of the eels had gone back into hiding. Managed to get a few photos, though.

Was a good, albeit very cold, day. Hoping my drysuit gets here soon. Apologies about the backscatter in the photos. Still trying to figure out wide angle shooting. I mostly do macro stuff.
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Sund Rock 11/26

Post by theonly_JT »

Wow looks like a fantastic day!!! I love the side angle shots! Nice work!!!!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Love it! What lens were you using?
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Thanks guys. It was a Panasonic 7-14mm lens on an Olympus E-M5mkII.
Diverdave68
Avid Diver

Post by Diverdave68 »

Sund rock is my favorite dive site. Photos look great.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Looks fantastic!! So cool to see wolf eels in the open. Sad about the leaks I hope she gets it figured out soon. Nice work on the wide angle. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great job!
Nice wolfie action!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Lovely wolfies, you are so lucky to see so many of them!