ThThTh -- Feeding lumpies!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh -- Feeding lumpies!

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks!
We had 5 divers at ThThTh last night. A great time was had by all.

I finally found a lumpie after 45 minutes of searching. Now they're getting big. This guy was extremely active. He was picking off the skeleton shrimp living on the red kelp! Very cool to watch, but hard to photo these guys when they're moving around so much. Chris got a video so hopefully he'll post. I got one shot where you can sort of see.

We also saw a second lumpy on the way back in.

So fun!!

Have a great good-tide weekend!!
Attachments
Picking off skeleton shrimp
Picking off skeleton shrimp
DSC_4086-2.jpg
DSC_3918.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
bradmond
Submariner

Re: ThThTh -- Feeding lumpies!

Post by bradmond »

congrats Eric!! great shots
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

That's awesome Eric! Very cool!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Lumpies.. Eat little Bugs .. Copepods..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I had the day off... No work , ready set go to dive with Ton Nic , Bassman, And Tang master at 3 tree North , But a Work call put some Greenbacks into my wallet So i had to cancel.. Yet again and LIve up to my New Rep of Being a flake and a No show .. Bwaaaa Haa Haaa. So bust out the Job , get Air and Then its Time To Suffer... why Do i subject myself to driving Down to Redondo in traffic From Hell ??? Why do we do it from the North end?? im going 8 MPH , Bumper to Bumper, Road rage Building the closer and closer i get to Seattle, This car behind me in On me .. and I cant go any faster , at one point they honk the Horn on me , cut into the next lane and get in front Of ME !!! .. Nice , So i just Crank up the tunes Louder and chant My mantra .. Lumpy Land ..Lumpy Land.. im going to.. Lumpy Land ..
1216170035.jpg
Make there , 645 , and No Gdog ? no Hoodsport ? no MZ , no Scoobie Doo, No Jt ... Hmmmmm I thought we had a deal about this Xmas dive , Prizes .. Irish Jig .. Beer ... So the conversation goes , where ya diving ? where Ya gonna Go H20 Doc ? i told em All LUMPY LAND ... and Im not gonna Break 10 feet ...
1216170029.jpg
gear Up ..and SHo ENUFF i brought The Dive gremlins ... HOw did i bring them , I showed up and that meant i broke the Flake curse and by doing so I brought with me the dive Gremlins... 1st strike traffic .. And now the 2nd Strike .. Gear failure .. Oh and It was Big ..
1216170034.jpg
1st stage fail .. me and Stephan try to fix Vals regs.. No go , I bust out my back ups.. throw that on , Hmmmm air 2 system , Ok change that out .. Boom dam thing wont stop Pissing air .. Arrggghhhh, So she out .. scuba jess , back up suit is made for a guy ..LoL .. then half way into the dive Her Boot thing comes Off and I cant get it back On 7 feet of water..LoL .. So 3 strikes and then 4 strikes and then 5 strikes ... WOW what a Cluster ..But it all turnout good cause we all Dived and we all got our gills wet..
THe Dive :
i had No gear Issues , thank Cthulhu the evil one , and i went in to the south .. water was good I kissed stevey goodbye , he went to the block to see the wolfie , and i was goin to .......... ? you guessed It ..LUMPY LAND ..
1216170029.jpg
i could see yelloweye and ScubaJess way south and I fig i would see them .. so kick kick kick and i see Jess, fin issue help Her , re drop Kick kick .. Im looking Hard every rock , every sand kelp ribbon , Nope not here , nope not there .. then this weird Freeking thing catches My eye and i have nver seen one at all in my life ?? it looks like a mini Lobster and a shrimp Had a baby while being dosed in radioactive waste .. A black Tail shrimp !! Thank Yelloweye for the Id ...
alien 2.JPG
alien.JPG
octo we call Him Mr Puss
octo.JPG
whodat.JPG
SLUG
nudi 2.JPG
Nudi.JPG
so snap snap of him on to looking I meet up with yelloweye Now and he is 20 feet off to my left and I can see his strobes firing Hot , blam , blam blam , like full auto machine guns a blazzen , He found one.. Yep sure enough ..LUMPY !!! Now the funny thing is , this dude would not hold still at all , he was swimming and hitting all the red Vine kelp stolks .. this was a sight to see because he was eating dinner the whole time .. we watched and watched the lumpy snack on bugs .. very cool and EPIC .. LOL thats for You Scoobie.. i cut my dive short as I played take yr turn on snaps with Yellow Eye .. because I came i saw I conquered .. I wanted lumpy I got Lumpy ...
froggy.JPG
lumpy 2.JPG
lumpy 3.JPG
lumpy 4.JPG
lumpy1.JPG
after dive food was Da Bomb !! Beer , food , and great Conversation...
Untill Next time .. Take care OF yr Dang Gear from the Gremlins!!!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Missing some one in the Xmas Pic .. Hmmmmmm who didnt want that ??
1214172245.jpg
1214172246a.jpg
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Fun!!!
Hope to meet up soon!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

We missed diving with the Doctor of H2O! We'll leave the flake labeling to him, however.... we still dove, so it's all good!

The ThThTh early contingent hit Three Tree North at around 10 AM. Bassman and I did a deeper drop, but at 50 fsw Bassman's inflator hose decided to die on him (plastic bits broke) so we did a shortened dive no deeper than the 40's to help with suit squeeze.

Visibility was a solid 30' and conditions were great!

The Tangmeister showed up for dive #2, and the 3 of us dropped on the tire pile at 80 fsw and worked our way down deeper and got our narc on. Bassman was on tire gas and so worked up a bit of deco obligation which he worked off by shallowing up ahead of us. Lots of critters, great dive, and really nice to dive with Calvin again! Glad you guys had success Lumpy hunting... we'll try again!

Here's a few snaps from the dives....

Tiny little guy....

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Funny recap h20 dr. I didn't want to associate with any pagan rituals with photographic evidence!

I'm still striking out on lumpies. Here are a few screen caps from the video:
wolfie.jpg
grunt.jpg
hermy.jpg
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome report h20doc! too funny! -- And congrats on your winning photo of the week on bc underwater!

Nice pics Tom and Stephen too! There's been a lot of baby grunts lately!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

After much resorting, gear worked enough to dive. Splashed late but saw light flashing by YelliwEyes and got to see the lumpies he found!! Amazing and thanks !
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great shots and nice finds
It's a good day.... nobody died!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Thank you...
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

awesome report all! Too bad I missed out. Sounds like a blast!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really great snaps you guys!! What a fun night, even though I didn't win Scubies truck in the raffle! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Stephen, where was that baby wolf eel hanging out at?
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

jmartel wrote:Stephen, where was that baby wolf eel hanging out at?
He lives in the engine block just below Bob's reef. He's kinda shy.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

stphnmartin wrote:
Not super familiar with the dond. Where is it in relation to this map? Doesn't have the reef or engine block on it.

http://seattledivetours.com/wp-content/ ... -Beach.jpg
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

jmartel wrote:
stphnmartin wrote:
Not super familiar with the dond. Where is it in relation to this map? Doesn't have the reef or engine block on it.

http://seattledivetours.com/wp-content/ ... -Beach.jpg
Yeah, it's not on that map. Enter on the south side to the left of boat launch. Head down to approx 60 feet and hang a left. Keep swimming till you find the rock piles of the reef. The engine block sits 10 feet below them.