Whidbey Year End Diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Whidbey Year End Diving

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks
I got to spend some good time last weekend and Monday on Whidbey!

On Saturday, after a stop at Pickles Deli, Stephen, Valerie, ScubaJess, Keith from Emerald Diving, Kerry from Canada, and I went to Keystone. Wow there were a lot of people there... The cars were two rows deep! We ran into a bunch of cool people... Marker Bouys, Anacortes Dive Shop, Bellingham Dive shop, JanK (!!!) and several others. Surprisingly it wasn't too crowded down below. Viz was average.

Marine life was fairly good, the barnacles seemed to have died back quite a bit :partydance: There were only a few nudis around (mostly at the rock of life 2 and the far end of the pilings). No cockerel's were to be found. And the rockfish count still seems awefully low :( But we saw warbonnets, heart crabs, PMH's, butterfly crabs, quite a few baby grunts, etc. Another thing of note, I saw very few cormorants on the pilings. I don't know if that's unusual...

Monday, I went with Jhelly88 -- it was his first time there, and we had a great time. Our second dive was 100 minutes long!

Here were some of the snaps.
A three lined nudi on encrusting compound tunicates.  From the Rock of Life 2.
A three lined nudi on encrusting compound tunicates. From the Rock of Life 2.
Another 3-lined nudi from the Rock of Life 2.  This time with several more types of tunicates, as well as a sea flea in the scene
Another 3-lined nudi from the Rock of Life 2. This time with several more types of tunicates, as well as a sea flea in the scene
Baby grunt!
Baby grunt!
Painted Anemones
Painted Anemones
Top Snail convention
Top Snail convention
Mossy
Mossy
Three lined nudis from the pilings
Three lined nudis from the pilings
Sclupin on the Rock of Life 2
Sclupin on the Rock of Life 2
Can't wait to go back in Jan!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Whidbey Year End Diving

Post by ScubaJess »

Beautiful Keystone pics YellowEye! 100 min dive at keystone is the best!!! I love all those tunicates! Super alien world out at the end! You always capture it so well! :)

That was such a fun weekend! So many cool divers around!! Also pickles was delicious!!!

HAhaha that grunt sculpin is so funny he looks kind of like a giraffe!

Here's a few of my snaps!
I hope we can go back to keystone soon! :)
Attachments
Nudi
Nudi
Topsnail son Brain Rock
Topsnail son Brain Rock
Cute Sculpin
Cute Sculpin
Chitons in love!!!
Chitons in love!!!
Space scene!
Space scene!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice ... Good times had By everyone .. crazy How there was soooooo Many divers there and No parking .... :angry: Keystone is always Fun ... Pickles Deli .. Wooooo Hoooo Epic :taco: :supz:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Great pictures!! When we first got there, I was a bit concerned because there were so many people, but it wasn’t crowded under the water, and viz was good and there was so much to see below! It’s an amazing place!!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

I've never seen a grunt sculpin open its mouth before. Nice shot, YE!
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram