Maui

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Maui

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks
I went on a quick trip to Maui, mostly to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. I got in 3 dives on the trip. Makena Landing, Polo and Mala Wharf.

All great dives -- the diving was better than I thought it would be! There was some dead corral, mostly in the shallows, which was sad, but there was healthy corral too. Not gobs of fish, but I did see some invertibrates like a few crabs, sea stars, huge chitons (much like our gumboot chitons), as well as harlequin shrimp! I also saw a couple white tip sharks (no photos)

Humpback whale songs were heard loud and clear during each dive. We also saw plenty of humpbacks from the surface! :taco:

Here were some of the snaps!
I loved the urchins!
I loved the urchins!
Plenty of happy turtles
Plenty of happy turtles
Exploring shallow wavy areas with caves
Exploring shallow wavy areas with caves
Turtle in the sunshine
Turtle in the sunshine
Mala Wharf
Mala Wharf
Mala Wharf - new divers
Mala Wharf - new divers
Erica found this cool Frogfish.  And there was a second right next to it!
Erica found this cool Frogfish. And there was a second right next to it!
Frogfish
Frogfish
Turtle sunning on the reef
Turtle sunning on the reef
Happy New Year!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Maui

Post by Tangfish »

Gorgeous Eric! Though ScubaJess may be green with envy right about now.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Soooooooooooooooo AMAZING! I think my next trip is to Hawaii!!! I've gotta see those turtles and those super cute Frogfish!! They look like Huge lumpies with legs!! How cool!!!

Excellent snaps and lighting!! You are so cool! Also how was the coffee?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Oh man, the FROG FISH!!!!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice! Love Hawaii, and as with the rest of the world haven't dove there near enough!

Once I realized that the underwater scenery and coral life was not going to be the tropical Caribbean I was able to appreciate it much more. Come to think of it, I still need to do an Oahu trip report....

Thanks for telling the story Eric!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great pics Eric, and great find on the frog fish!! Love the tan one. The one I found last time were all mud brown, not really photogenic lol
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Really like the pictures and amazing find on the frog fish!
SashimiFencer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SashimiFencer »

Last night on Maui and had to share my dive report from my week!

5 dives total: 2 boat dives with Extended Horizons to Lana’i and 3 shore dives.

Boat dives: I chose Extended Horizons because their boat is smaller and carries fewer divers. (I don’t like being crowded.) because of winds and swells, rather than the Cathedrals, we dove 2 sites on the east side of the island. Sorry, I can’t remember the site names. The visibility was 60 ft plus and water temperature was 74 degrees. Good healthy reef structures but the critters are not as accustomed to divers so quickly hid. En route we saw lots of humpback whales breaching so it was like a whale watching tour as well as diving!

Shore dives: we stayed on West side and there was a massive storm in the middle of the trip; hence no South Maui dives. We did basic weight check dive at Airport Beach. Ok- would skip next time, but free parking and easy shore entry.

Today we went to Black Rock and the oft mentioned Mala Pier. Both were fantastic with my favorite being Mala. We were 20-30 feet the whole time and saw turtles galore, eels aplenty, and even a bright yellow frog fish! Of course my GoPro runs out of battery at this crucial moment so no evidence of the frog fish. But we did spend 70 minutes so not unexpected to have battery die. I would definitely go back to Mala again.

Oh, in other threads I looked at in preparation for my trip, I tried to decide between taking my dry suit vs 5mm. (I dislike 7mm.) I was dissuaded when I spoke to another dive shop, but on the boat dive, I wish I had worn my dry suit because I was freezing in the full 5mm with hoodie. Even my husband got cold with 5mm and he’s usually hot. However for the shore dives with water temperature 76, I was comfortable.amazing how much effect 2-3 degrees can make.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sounds like a great trip to Maui. Yes it can be downright chilly there at times. Aloha!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Glad you had some good dives! Mala Wharf is awesome!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!