Les Davis 1/28

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Eddie A.
Frequent Bubbler

Les Davis 1/28

Post by Eddie A. »

After some buddies had things come up, was able to salvage a dive day and dove with jondiver who came all the way from Oregon! This was both of our first time at Les Davis but we were able to navigate it easily. We met at 10 AM jaw jacked for a while, splashing at 10:55.

Vis was a silty 6-8’. We followed a 30 degree heading from the stairs and dropped to 65 fsw heading along the piling reef toward the pier and came up to 45 fsw at the turn. Even with the silty conditions we saw plenty of Rockfish, small lingcod, anemones, and crabs. There were several sea stars out there that appeared to have the wasting syndrome I’ve read so much about. The most exciting part of the dive was a run in I had with with a small but brave clam (like a chihuahua with big dog syndrome). It was sitting next to a star all closed up and I put my hand down and guess I got too close because he peeked up, got right in my face snapping away and chased me off.

We only got the one in but it was good to meet a new dive buddy and get wet today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Eddie A. on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Les Davis 1/28

Post by Scubak »

Sounds like a good dive!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Les Davis is also a great place to look for the little critters that live on the reef and out on the mud flats. Go slow and look careful and it's amazing how much life there is out there.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Glad you got to experience this.

I have stayed away from here at times due to less than stellar viz because of river run-off.

That said, it really is a great site, worth it if you go slow, ton of structure which means tons of life. The combination of habitats allows for lots of different kinds of critters.

And if you haven't tried it yet, dive this site near the end of a large ebb. It kind of pulls the river silt away from the shore a bit, and 20' viz here is really amazing with all of the artificial reef structure and the Rockfish that are attracted to it.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice report, glad you got to dive!

Lol maybe that attacking clam was a swimming scallop?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Eddie A.
Frequent Bubbler

Les Davis 1/28

Post by Eddie A. »

YellowEye wrote:Nice report, glad you got to dive!

Yep! Just googled swimming scallop and that’s exactly what it was. I’ve really got to work on identifying things more accurately Image. At this point I’m all like, “ooh pretty fish!”, but I’m working on it. I’ve only been diving in the PNW since December and I got my open water cert in a murky Texas Lake so I’m having to learn about all these amazing aquatic creatures as I go.

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Eddie A. wrote:

Yep! Just googled swimming scallop and that’s exactly what it was. I’ve really got to work on identifying things more accurately Image. At this point I’m all like, “ooh pretty fish!”, but I’m working on it. I’ve only been diving in the PNW since December and I got my open water cert in a murky Texas Lake so I’m having to learn about all these amazing aquatic creatures as I go.

Very cool, those scallops are a riot!

Have fun learning the id's. To many, it can really improve the level of fun in your diving.

Do check out Andy Lamb's _Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest_ book, and Keith C's http://emeralddiving.com if you have not already for some excellent critter information! There are many other great resources as well.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Eddie A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Eddie A. »

YellowEye wrote:
Eddie A. wrote:

Very cool, those scallops are a riot!

Have fun learning the id's. To many, it can really improve the level of fun in your diving.

Do check out Andy Lamb's _Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest_ book, and Keith C's http://emeralddiving.com if you have not already for some excellent critter information! There are many other great resources as well.

-Eric
Thanks for the resources Eric! It’ll nice to have these for reference going forward.