Nanaimo - Dodd's Narrows Weekend!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Nanaimo - Dodd's Narrows Weekend!

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy folks!

ScubaJess, VJW, StphnMartin and I just got back from a great weekend of diving up in Nanaimo with Sundown Charters!

What a great trip! The main purpose of the trip was to go check out Dodd's Narrows. I've been to Nanaimo many times in the past (more so >10 years ago), but we never got a chance to do Dodd's. So we thought we'd give it a try. This is a highly current sensitive site, so we had to plan it carefully. Wow, this was an amazing site! It was comparable to the color and life density you get at Part Hardy, Neah Bay, Race Rocks, Deception Pass, etc but with a different look and ecosystem than either of those. Well worth the trip! Some of the key residents of the Narrows include short plumose, surf anemones, painted anemones (huge carpets of each). Also to be seen are many sea stars, sponges, nudibranchs, glassy plume hydroids, pinkmouth and orange hydroids, crabs/sculpins etc. Very cool!

We did Dodd's both Saturday and Sunday morning. Other sites we hit included Clark Rock, Jesse Island and Snake Island Wall. Chris was an excellent captain, and his son made a great deck hand as well. Viz was quite bad most of the time above 40 feet though. There was a recent herring spawn... SJ and I did Madrona Point on Friday night as well...really really bad viz, but lots of sealions and nudibranch.

We also had our buddy photographer Steve T from Vancouver join us on Sunday.

What a great weekend!
Dodd's Narrows was like a Candy Land of Color.  The neon green plankton made for an eerie atmosphere.
Dodd's Narrows was like a Candy Land of Color. The neon green plankton made for an eerie atmosphere.
Dodd's had more surf anemones than I've seen anywhere.  There were huge fields of them in the shallows, and patches going down all the way to 30'
Dodd's had more surf anemones than I've seen anywhere. There were huge fields of them in the shallows, and patches going down all the way to 30'
Jess exploring the anemone fields at slack
Jess exploring the anemone fields at slack
Neon pinks and other outrageous colors were to be had
Neon pinks and other outrageous colors were to be had
Painted anemones covered the current focal points
Painted anemones covered the current focal points
Snake Island Wall
Snake Island Wall
Jesse diving Jesse Island!
Jesse diving Jesse Island!
Jesse Island tube dwelling anemones
Jesse Island tube dwelling anemones
This ling cod was guarding his nest
This ling cod was guarding his nest
This was a huge seapen, well over a foot tall
This was a huge seapen, well over a foot tall
Lots of wolfies at Clark Rock
Lots of wolfies at Clark Rock
Blood star, hanging on in the blazing current at Dodd's
Blood star, hanging on in the blazing current at Dodd's
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Nanaimo - Dodd's Narrows Weekend!

Post by ScubaJess »

Greetings Awesome NWDC Peeps!

Just returned from a fantastic weekend of diving in Naniamo! :joshsmith: :partydance: :eric: :taco: It was my first time to dive there! I felt super lucky to get to go to Dodd's twice in one weekend! :luv: ! I had the best time with my awesome Dive buddies YE, Stephen & Valerie!!! :luv: :grouphug: We also had so much fun trying out the food options :partyman: :burntchef: , really yummy Italian Food and the Indian Restaurant was almost as fun as the dives! I feel like the coffee shops were limited. We need to go back to try more so I can update my map. The Buccaneer Inn is a really awesome place to stay. Super close to the dive boat also which is super convenient, also Sundown Diving is a really spectacular dive shop :)

We saw so much life down below and also up top. Sea lions, seals, goats, Canadian geese, soooo many Baldies, and other really cute sea birds. And a super cute white footed cat that crossed the street! :popcorn:

Amazing Snaps YellowEye! You really captured the beauty and crazy colors down below. Your Wide Angle shots are crazy impressive! It was like Dr. Seuss went nuts with his paint brush!!

We had the best weather topside. The water was a very nippy 43' way too cold for my wet gloves. Was so glad I had my Weezle Extreme Plus!!

I hope you can all try out Dodd's and other Nanaimo diving soon.
Have a fun week & Happy Diving!!!
Attachments
Surface anemone at my new fav dive spot with Orange Mouth Hydroids in the background.
Surface anemone at my new fav dive spot with Orange Mouth Hydroids in the background.
Fireworks show at Dodds that place is full of so much life & color :) Gotta love OMH & Yellow Boring Sponges!
Fireworks show at Dodds that place is full of so much life & color :) Gotta love OMH & Yellow Boring Sponges!
I'm not sure if the blood star was eating the anemone or the other way around? Crazy cool action going down at Dodds.
I'm not sure if the blood star was eating the anemone or the other way around? Crazy cool action going down at Dodds.
Chockeralls Dorid at Clark Rock, the Canadian version seem to have a cool orange face.
Chockeralls Dorid at Clark Rock, the Canadian version seem to have a cool orange face.
Surface Anemones carpeting the shallows. I didn't go deeper then 22 feet the 1st day at Dodd's I just hung out with these beauties.
Surface Anemones carpeting the shallows. I didn't go deeper then 22 feet the 1st day at Dodd's I just hung out with these beauties.
cute red sculpin at Dodds he liked my Dusty light
cute red sculpin at Dodds he liked my Dusty light
This sculpin was eyeing a anthropoid on this lovely red kelp.
This sculpin was eyeing a anthropoid on this lovely red kelp.
Opalescent Nudi at Dood's Narrows
Opalescent Nudi at Dood's Narrows
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

My experience with Dodd is lots of boast traffic. The time to dive it is also the time to transit it. The rule was "Stay down! Don't surface in the narrows." Since you were going in the off season, how was the boat traffic?
-Curt
p.s. Thanks for the posting.
Happy to be alive.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

NIce to see all the colors. Great photos YE,Jess !
I been through the Narrows on a boat many times, but never dived there.
Now I am sorry I didn't.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Curt. Boat traffic is an issue. Chris doesn't take people there between May and Sept for that reason!

We had 6 boats go thru when we were down. Yep, and we were advised to stay close to the wall, which is really a good idea either way :)

Hope you're well!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Awesome shots YE and SJ. Love the wolf eel and underwater landscapes! And also the orange mouths and cockerell!

Here are a couple grabs from the video:
pskc2.jpg
doddsnarrows.jpg
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Killer pics guys!!! I'm still going through my videos from the Annapolis and some epic walls from my weekend. Looks like a great time was had by all!
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Stunning pictures!! The colors were vibrant and there was so much life on Dodd’s Narrows! Thanks so much for setting it all up!! :taco:
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

I need to get up there. Great photos.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. I feel like a broken record. More amazing dives and trip reports from NWDC peeps! Thank you!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman