The ROCK ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

The ROCK ...

Post by H20doctor »

got a text to do a boat dive ... Um ya .. an early Boat dive ..YUK !! :violent1: as i dont get up outta bed untill noon .. The Dive ? blakely Rock ..the time ? meet at 645 AM ... :lalala: :slap: Ugghhhh .. i got up at %45 am ..it was a Miracle of the dive Gods ..but i made it LATE !! 715 ish thats good for me due to living out in lake stevens .. so We loaded up the the Boat JP was the owner , and the other crew was VJW and Steph M we zipped out on a cold 33 Deg Morning on nice flat water ..
capture 1.JPG
Capture.JPG
we got to the Rock and threw over the Anchor and got set in ... i have never been out to this site and it was a new one for me ... we Hit the water all the gear Good , no issues and deflated the Suits to drop into the Green :supz: .. Viz was good id say 20 feet or so, there was a light push of current heading south as we came up on the rock structure .. this site Is made up of rock outcrops and holes .. if i was to compare it to another site id say sund rock kinda , mixed in with fox island / Flag Pole .. large rocks that go into a south direction that meet a sandy floor.. i was tagged up with Jp on a crappy 119 air fill of 3000 PSI ... thank you very much Dive shop !! :banghead: :banghead: some of the large rocks had large gardens of Zooanthids Polyps on them and reminded me of the rock at Possesion Point fingers
macro poolups.JPG
pulups.JPG
puulops 4.JPG
I wasnt able to explore the deep parts of this site due to my air time for filming and not knowing the site and naving back to the anchor line ... JP waved me over and He found a Mated pair of wolfies in a den ... i saw a couple of starfish , blood and cushion
pin cushoin 2.JPG
there was a nice school Of perch doing the rounds in and out of the rocks ... I found a Nice growth Of kelp and fuzzy fern stuff on a shelf at about 55 feet that was home to 5 types of Nudis .. all crawling around looking to be Photod by me .. this was a New One for me
Bushy Nudi
bushy 2.JPG
bushy 3.JPG
Saaaaaaawwweeeeeeeettttt !!!! :supz: :supz:

I also found this one................
flablina 7.JPG
And this One ....
varied 1.JPG
varied 3.JPG
and These ....
flablina 8.JPG
nudi 1.JPG
In the shallows i found 2 Nanaimo Dorids just doing there thing...
nanimo 1.JPG
nanimo 4.JPG
the dive crew did another tank on the same reef for dive 2 , as i sat topside and rested ... i am still fighting a cold and had taken sudafed to try and keep me alive for diving ... dive 3 was on the other side of the rock < but the wind and waves had Picked up big time ... 1 to 3 feet with white caps .. My next tank had another craptastist air fill 1900 PSI in my fabel LP 95... I jumped In solo and didnt brake 30 feet as i explored the sand bottom , and shallow ares of the rock ... the 3 man dive team crew went together and found more good stuff for the last and 3rd dive ... I came up to an empty Boot with HUge waves and i almost got the the Point of being seasick ... LOL .. we headed in unloaded and got lunch , as JP had to head home... Great day At Blakely rock and I hope to head back agin to explore the deeper parts of the reef ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: The ROCK ...

Post by H20doctor »

stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Way to recap the trip 'doc! It's like I was there! Great pics and way fast with the video. Really cool to watch. I'll get around to mine in 4-5 months. Glad to finally get you out to the rock. Next time full tanks are in order. 3 of them. Really love the bushy nudi. It's awesome.
boatsatblakelyrock.jpg
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Chris ... your "new" nudi looks like Dendronotus Venustus ... I've seen them before, but they're not very common ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Grateful Diver wrote:Chris ... your "new" nudi looks like Dendronotus Venustus ... I've seen them before, but they're not very common ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Like Bob said...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Nice, a Whaler with a dive door, wish mine had a dive door
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

I've thought about putting a ladder just to the right but I'm lazy and taking the BC off and seal-flopping in has worked fine.

One of the few times there has been another dive boat at Blakely Rock while we were there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice pics and write-up!
We always called that site to the east of the rock itself "Shangri-La". If you ever wanna try buddy boating, I could look into free weekends. But if you come all that way for cripes sake check the tank pressures before you leave the shop! :D
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

jpa wrote:I've thought about putting a ladder just to the right but I'm lazy and taking the BC off and seal-flopping in has worked fine.
My dive ladder is off the swim step, but its built for tec divers with 200+ pounds of gear on.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Nice shots. Looks like a fun day, minus the short fill. Next time you guys do this, you should swing by Eagle Harbor and pick me up. Still haven't been out to Blakely rocks.
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

It is a great dive site. stphnmartin does the planning so you need to butter him up.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very cool, great reports, pic, and video
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Awesome pics and video!! I like your style and way of recapping the entire diving experience! :joshsmith: :taco: :notworthy:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Jan K wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Chris ... your "new" nudi looks like Dendronotus Venustus ... I've seen them before, but they're not very common ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Like Bob said...
Here Is a Cropped Blown Up version
cropped.JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks Bob ..... 1st time for me !!! :supz: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Vjw wrote:Awesome pics and video!! I like your style and way of recapping the entire diving experience! :joshsmith: :taco: :notworthy:
See that Doc, you got style!!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:
Vjw wrote:Awesome pics and video!! I like your style and way of recapping the entire diving experience! :joshsmith: :taco: :notworthy:
See that Doc, you got style!!
Style to be a Stroke !! Gotta love the bonus drone footage at the end
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Oh yes, great catch Val!!!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Looks like a fantastic time!!! You guys are awesome! Love all the snaps!
Nice work finding that nudi!! Also great to see JPA on the water!!!
I miss you guys!!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: