Belize 2018

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Belize 2018

Post by theonly_JT »

More Pictures
Attachments
GOPR6485-0001.jpg
GOPR6479-0001.jpg
The invasive Lion Fish...lunch for the Nurse Sharks
The invasive Lion Fish...lunch for the Nurse Sharks
GOPR6432-0001.jpg
GOPR6375-0002.jpg
GOPR6324-0001.jpg
GOPR6306-0003.jpg
GOPR6304-0001.jpg
GOPR6281-0002.jpg
GOPR6280-0001.jpg
GOPR6278-0001.jpg
GOPR6262-0001.jpg
GOPR6220-0003.jpg
GOPR6210-0001.jpg
GOPR6202-0001.jpg
GOPR6180-0001.jpg
Last edited by theonly_JT on Sun May 27, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Belize 2018

Post by theonly_JT »

I am finally getting around to posting my trip report from my trip down to Belize earlier this month!!

After a few hiccups and some running around LAX I finally landed in Belize City at 6am. From there it was about a 20min cab ride to the water taxi terminal which would take me out to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye about an hour and a half boat ride off the mainland.

Upon arrival in San Pedro i was able to make my way over to Ramon's Dive Village (who i would spend the rest of the week diving with). What is super cool about diving on the Belize Barrier reef is that it's about 1/2 mile off shore and is super super easy to get to. So easy in fact that the dive boats come back to the dock for your surface interval. They run a 9am, 11:30am, 2pm and a night dive (when enough people sign up). Ambergris Caye is super cool, everyone drives golf carts, they seem to outnumber cars 10 to 1.

After landing at 6am I was able to make the 11:30 dive! Whoohoo!! :partydance: Andddd I was not disappointed!! Warm 85 degree clear water (80ft viz) teeming with reef life like I had never seen before. Beautiful corals all over the place! On my first dive alone we saw nurse sharks, reef sharks, sea turtle, moral eels, lobsters, sting rays etc. Quite the show! Throughout the week some highlight moments include: an overly friendly loggerhead actually taking a nip at a divers mask and the DM having to shoo away the darn thing. Diving with dolphins. Eagle rays, flamingo tongue's, more sharks, barracuda, hawksbill turtles, jaw fish, basket stars at night, and much more that I am currently forgetting.

I spent the remainder of the week diving as often as possible with Ramon's. I would highly recommend them as a dive op- no hand holding. Grab your kit, set it up, grab your weights, hop on the boat, into the water and meet up on the bottom. Dives were typically limited to about 1hr.

After a week diving the barrier reef in San Pedro I met up with my dad, brother and some cousins and headed out to the Turneffe Atoll for 3 days at a bad-ass crazy nice resort on a private island. 10/10 would recommend Turneffe Island Resort to anyone. Absolutely incredible food, hospitality, and diving. And again, the reef was no more than a 5min boat ride away. Saw much of the same as off Ambergris caye but far fewer nurse sharks and perhaps a little more reef life. Saw a handful of dolphins while at our safety stops which was AWESOME. Especially since one of the cousins who came along was a former dolphin trainer. From the Turnefffe Atoll the trip out to the Great Blue Hole was only about an hour and a half which out us there well ahead of the other dive boats.

The Blue Hole was pretty neat, saw a handful of sharks on our way down. I maxed out at 140ft after exploring around the stalactites. Its a pretty short dive but was still pretty cool and would recommend to anyone who is interested in history or just to see something really unique. After the Blue Hole we did a surface interval and lunch on Half-Moon Caye which is a natural monument and is home to nesting populations of Red-footed boobies (very cool birds). The island was pretty busy with other dive boats from all over the area. The second dive amazinggg!!! maybe my favorite dive of the whole trip. We got followed around by a handful of reef sharks and a very curious grouper. Third dive of the day and final dive of my trip was sadly pretty awful... hardly any life, hardly any coral, lots of silt and sand. Almost like a landslide had just covered over the reef.

All in all I had a spectacular trip and if anyone is interested in Belize, DO IT! I'm sure as i remember more details of the trip i will add and update this post.
Attachments
JT.jpg
Father and son dive trip
Father and son dive trip
NWDC at the Great Blue Hole
NWDC at the Great Blue Hole
DSCN3034.JPG
DSCN2986.JPG
GOPR6574-0001.jpg
GOPR6563-0001.jpg
GOPR6557-0001.jpg
GOPR6518-0003.jpg
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Thanks For the trip Report !! I enjoyed the read ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report! Thanks for whetting the appetite!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Thanks for sharing, and for rekindling some good memories of the Ho Chan diving! How was the lionfish situation looking? When I was there 4 years ago it was in danger of getting a bit out of hand.
Party underwater
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Sharkb8 wrote:Thanks for sharing, and for rekindling some good memories of the Ho Chan diving! How was the lionfish situation looking? When I was there 4 years ago it was in danger of getting a bit out of hand.
Not too bad, some days I saw none, other days maybe 3-4. DM's speared most all of them. Luckily only saw a couple out on the Turneffe Atoll.
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Sounds epic!!! So glad you got to go and thanks for the full trip report and pictures!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Great report and photos! I'm glad you liked Belize! I really enjoyed it there.

We went to a restaurant there that specialized in lionfish. It's delicious. When I think of all the other fish whose populations got wiped out due to their tastiness, I never thought I'd hope for that to happen to another species, but I do for those pesky critters.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey, great report and photos! Fun to live it thru your eyes. And you represented NWDC well!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Very awesome! I'd love to go one day.
Really nice pics :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: