South Baja 2018

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

South Baja 2018

Post by Grateful Diver »

I recently returned from an 18 day trip to the South Baja and the Revillagigedos (Socorro) Islands. I spent 8 days on the Solmar V, and another 8 days working my way up the Sea of Cortez coast from Cabo to Loreto (roughly 320 miles). Did five days of diving in the Socorros, and another four days in Cabo Pulmo, La Paz, and Loreto.

Here's some of my favorite pics from the trip ...

A close encounter with a manta ...

Silky shark ...

... close-up of silky shark ...

... descending through a large school of jacks ...

... this thing looks like a muppet ...

... at the sea lion rookery ...

... surfing on boat wake ...

... this shell looks like a Tolkien map ...

... lovelies making love ...

... happy Bob ...

... just another tequila sunrise ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: South Baja 2018

Post by ScubaJess »

Looks like a fun trip, excellent photos :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey Bob, great pics! Sounds like an awesome trip. I really really like the manta shot, and the shark with what looks like jacks? in the background. All really good tho!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

What amazing creatures you saw! Sounds like a fabulous trip!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

good stuff as always Bob .... How was the Live aboard accommodations ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Bob: Your photo looks like the long-beaked dolphin. Do you know if that is right?
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Wonderful shots! Looks like a really fun time...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Lovely shots Bob!

Both the Socorro and Loreto are high on my list. I hope to be traveling to one or the other next year.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great job Bob! Really nice photos!

Amongst others, really nice manta, and that Tolkien map critter's patterns are certainly very unusual!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

H20doctor wrote:good stuff as always Bob .... How was the Live aboard accommodations ?
The liveaboard was quite nice. I was on the Solmar V ...

Sleeping quarters are a bit cramped, unless you're lucky enough to get your own room ... but everything else about this operation gets five stars from me. The crew was outstanding, the food wonderful (the cook was the most popular person on board), and the diving was amazing.

May isn't the best time to visit the Socorros, however ... some animals, such as whale sharks and whales, are more readily found during the winter months. And the water in May is murky (30-50 feet most dives) and cold (68-72 F). I was in a 5 mm suit most of the time, and got cold to the point of shivering on some dives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

oldsalt wrote:Bob: Your photo looks like the long-beaked dolphin. Do you know if that is right?
-Curt
I don't know ... but there sure were a lot of 'em. The water was churning for about a mile by maybe 100 yards across. They called it a super pod and said there were easily 1000 dolphins, if not more, surrounding us.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Penopolypants wrote:Lovely shots Bob!

Both the Socorro and Loreto are high on my list. I hope to be traveling to one or the other next year.
Well, I might be living in Loreto this time next year. I retire at the end of the year, and will put my house up for sale. Once sold, I'm taking my money and moving on. Part of the purpose of this trip was to see if there's someplace down there I could spend some time. Loreto definitely caught my attention. But I am told it gets super hot down there during the summer. So I'm probably going to rent a place, give it six months to a year, and see how I like it.

I WILL get a place with an extra bedroom, as I expect I'll be getting some guests while I'm there ... hopefully you and Grant will be among them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

We would be delighted!

I've been to Cabo Pulmo in August, can confirm it's hot. It wasn't outrageously so IMO for general living, but I wouldn't go hiking at noon in the summer or anything like that. It's not hot in the ocean!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!