God's Pocket - The last week with Bill and Annie

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

God's Pocket - The last week with Bill and Annie

Post by derekcs »

Went back to God's Pocket for Bill and Annie's final week. It was another Richard Salas workshop, and this time he brought his wife and son. His wife is a very talented folk musician and performed a set after dinner one night. People got emotional during the last dinner but otherwise carried on like any other week. Visibility was sub par the first couple days but cleared up over the week. There was one GPO spotted (not by me) and a few Puget Sound King Crabs (not by me) and maybe a rock greenling (not by me) and a sea nettle (not by me). Lots of sun stars. A number of wolf eels. Lots of big orange peel nudis but not so many lemons. Lots of red Irish lords as always. Hoody Nudi Bay was covered in hooded nudibranchs. A stellar sea lion joined us on one dive but kept his distance. From the boat, we saw otters, porpoises, tons of bald eagles, half a dozen humpback whales, and some sea lions.

My favorite dive was probably Berry Islet, which they can't hit often because of tides/currents. At 80', there is a field of gorgonians (listed as "pink gorgonians" in the Andy Lamb book but were bright red and white) with basket stars intertwined.

Water temps were 48-53F depending on the site and depth.

Here's the latest news on the future of God's Pocket

Attachments
Farewell to gods pocket writing change.jpg
2nd group.jpg
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: God's Pocket - The last week with Bill and Annie

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome Derek! Glad you got to go! I'm so glad they're staying open with new owners...!

I love your Berry Islet shot and the Orange Peel shot!

I believe Berry Islet is more of a wind-sensitive site rather than current sensitive site as the reason they don't often make it. I've only been once, indeed it is an amazing site.

Hope to dive with you soon
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gorgeous. What a treasure we have in the diving up north....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super beautiful report Derek! You're so lucky to get to hang with Bill & Annie!! & Richard made family too!!! So much love!

Berry Islet was my favorite spot also! Candy stripe Shrimp & basket stars everywhere!!!

So fantastic!! I hope we can all get up there soon! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

What a great trip report! Sounds like an amazing time. Looked at your pics on smugmug and they’re all beautiful - especially like the hooded nudis and some free floating! Wow!!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Love the basket star and orange peel! Sorry about all the "not by me" sightings!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

That orange peel is really really nice