Sund Rock 9/29

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Sund Rock 9/29

Post by jmartel »

Haven't been in the water much all summer, so I figured I was due for a couple tanks this past weekend. Headed out to Sund Rock since I've only been there once before, and managed to get there before the hordes of people. We showed up at 7:30, but when we got out of the water after the first dive, the parking lot was completely full.

Visibility was pretty horrible, but it was still a good day of diving. Upper 30' of the water column was <4' of vis, and below 35-40' it only opened up to about 10-12'. Down below, it was very dark. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to get any sort of green color to the water at all. Was certainly challenging to shoot with a fisheye lens in those conditions. Most of my photos ended up just being ID snaps. Also discovered one of my strobe cords is going bad, so it only fired the strobe once every 3 shots or so.

First dive was on the North Wall, and we went out to explore the sand/mud flats, and second dive was the south wall. Didn't go much deeper than 65 feet due to my wife's ears having trouble equalizing.

Some photos:

Golf Ball Crab, I believe. First time seeing for me.

Tons of 3-lined Aeolid Nudibranchs

And a new Nudi for me, Yellow Margin. Cadlina luteomarginata

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sund Rock 9/29

Post by ScubaJess »

Great report & pics!! :)
Did you guys see the squat lobsters?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Yes, there was a ton of them. There's one in the photo with all the nudibranchs as well.
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

I like the jellyfish and wolf eel pics! Nice to get into the water!!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Very cool pics!
Thanks for sharing.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I need to get back down there one last time before I go ... how's the admissions situation since Hoodsport n Dive isn't doing it anymore? What's the procedure?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Love the diver and wolf eel.... Great shot.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Those are some amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing.
I need to get back out there!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Grateful Diver wrote:I need to get back down there one last time before I go ... how's the admissions situation since Hoodsport n Dive isn't doing it anymore? What's the procedure?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Gate opens at 9am on Saturday/Sunday. Show up, pay your $15 per diver and go. Any other time, you need to set up a time in advance with the Sund's via their email at cindy@sundsonhoodcanal.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks ... I might venture down there this coming week-end, weather permitting ...

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/