Octo action at Sunrise

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Octo action at Sunrise

Post by YellowEye »

Last weekend a bunch of ThThTh divers and Marker Buoy Divers hit Sunrise for an early morning dive. We hit the tides just perfectly.

Towards the end of the dive Stephen Martin found this big huge octo out in the open! Val even saw a sea lion right above it.

Thanks to Stephen for showing me this amazing being! Getting a photo was challenging, as I had to chase him down to 90' to get this shot! And he was mopping up silt as he went a long
DSC_7937.jpg
Scubajess also found another octo on eggs. Several wolfeel and grunt sculpin were also seen.

Can't wait to go dive that site again!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Octo action at Sunrise

Post by Vjw »

It was absolutely amazing!! The biggest gpo in the open I’ve personally seen so far. Thanks Stephen for getting my attention while I was filming a snail as the octo was meandering by!

Then a huge sea lion swooped in- got a few seconds of video - came within inches of another diver’s head.

Each dive is an adventure as we never know what we’re going to find! This was a spectacular treat.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Amazing photo!!!! Was great fun diving with you guys!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

I have been diving at surise for years, in all those countless dives I think I can count 5 or less times that I have not seen a GPO. However in my whole life of diving there I have never seen one out in the open this way. They have always been in a crevasse or hole/cave.

Lucky you, diving almost always offers some new adventure when in the sea. Even when diving the same place over and over!
The best things in life are not things
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Eric, that is a fantastic shot!