BC cave diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

BC cave diving

Post by CaptnJack »

This is not far from the hamlet of Woss, although the "roads" are terrible and its over an hour of crawling to get in there from highway 19. And many truck scratches... There's about 900-1,000ft of cave before getting into trimix depths. Max depth is 132ft, total there is about 1900ft of cave here. Sadly it ends at a very narrow slot. It could be done on the way too or from the Wet Dream system - if you were motivated to haul stuff in the 350m trail and had leftover tanks.

https://vimeo.com/346766620
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: BC cave diving

Post by Tom Nic »

Fascinating. And cool as heck...

What can you tell us about the geology of the cave and its possible formation?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: BC cave diving

Post by CaptnJack »

Vancouver island limestone/marble is all basically in the same chunk. It was laid down in the arctic many millions of years ago (much older than FL or Mx limestone) back when Pangea was the lone continent on the planet. The tectonic plates broke apart and drifted around, that particular plate drifted out into what we now call the Pacific. Eventually it drifted back and crashed into the North American plate which lifted and folded the limestone as well as highly metamorphosing it into marble. Various igneous intrusions happened at this time, some of which are in the video. These new mountains almost immediately started eroding. The fractures in the marble allowed flowing water (creeks/rivers) to erode almost all (2000+) island caves. Most island caves remain active streamways. There are a some which are perched relics ie vadose caves. This is a good visual of the process. https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mendips/caveskarst/caveform.htm
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.