So, it was technically a dive (AKA - 'ring rescue' dive)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

So, it was technically a dive (AKA - 'ring rescue' dive)

Post by mz53480 »

For those that only read the first 2 sentences:
>Wedding by the water, someone dropped the ring in the water under a dock. Called me. I looked around for about 2hrs.
>>Found it! Everyone happy!

Long story:
Sat afternoon I get a phone call from a good friend - his son is getting married. He says "get out here with your dive gear". LOL. I didn't even have to ask. So, I load up and get out there. Everyone is in a fuss - wedding party was out on the dock and accidentally dropped the ring in the water directly below the dock.... *yikes*
The water is about 10ft deep at the time, and I get in. Totally silty bottom, tons of little crabs, kelp, and a mess of whole/half/and bits/pieces of muscle shells that are nice & shiny too. Not going to be easy.
I get in, and start to putter around for a while...and I have a suit leak. Great. Get out, and tell the shore group that I need to get changed. *sighs*
Brought the other suit 'just in case'. Good call!
Get back in, and have a good reference point as to where it was dropped. Got the lights on, looking around ...and around. Take a few breaks, and give it one last go. Looking around, nice & easy.....and .....no way.
I see something sticking out that is too nice & round to be a shell. It's like 80% buried in the silt, and sticking straight up. Looks like an arch....too perfectly round. That's it! I got it!
Clipped it on to my harness and I get out. Tell the shore group that I'm done, too tired to continue. They're a bit stunned, and say ok.
On the way in I mention that I cant go out again anymore. They ask why, and I show them the ring. Super funny.
Never would've thought it would be found in that muck, and all the crabs running around.

Bride & groom, mom's & dads, guests were all super happy. *Several* beers and a great evening was had.
Good to be back in the water, and help out at the same time.

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: So, it was technically a dive (AKA - 'ring rescue' dive)

Post by RoxnDox »

Awesome that you found it and saved their day... And several bonus points for the way you told ‘em!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I remember many many years ago some guy sold his very expensive vintage muscle car for a very expensive engagement ring and he posted it on here because they went out on the dock and he drop the ring and it fell down between the dock boards and into the sea... LoL

Congrats on finding the Ring !! Stud Diver
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Water + expensive things = a roulette wheel of disaster/awesomeness. I'm glad you could help, and hooray for free beer!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great story! Love it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

You are a totally hero!! Great story!!! :)
So glad you found it!

Where was the dive?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Well done. :supz:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

ScubaJess wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:43 am ....Where was the dive?
Budd Inlet, Olympia side
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great job!