Warbonnets and Cloud Sponges - Sund Rock

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Warbonnets and Cloud Sponges - Sund Rock

Post by KeithBoll »

Went to Sund Rock on Saturday - viz was a solid 30 feet for the first dive! Met a wonderful, young couple who just completed their certification this past week and completed three dives at Sund Rock in wet suits! I got cold just talking with them! However, I loved their enthusiasm - and they got to see their first GPO!

On the first dive, I went deep (to 120 feet) on the south wall and visited the cloud sponges. About a year ago, the cloud sponges turned brown. The good news - is that they are still there - and so are the warbonnets! A large warbonnet was lying on top of the sponges and let me take a number of pictures (I was grateful). All in all - I saw and took pictures of three warbonnets.

On the second dive, viz was a little bit cloudier - but still good. I went to a max of 50 feet and spent a lot of time (all on the south wall) at 20 to 30 feet. Halfway through the dive, I ran into a GPO out cruising! I was able to spend at least twenty minutes with him. Twice, I backed up a little (trying to fit more of the Octo in my macro (*!*) lens - and he followed me. The Octo flared up his body twice - succeeding in looking bigger! For most of the time, this guy cruised in 20 to 25 feet of water. I was super stoked to be able to spend this much time with such a beautiful creature.
Attachments
_37A5012.jpg
_37A4993.jpg
_37A4955.jpg
_37A4939.jpg
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Warbonnets and Cloud Sponges - Sund Rock

Post by Gdog »

Fantastic shots, and great report! Really cool being able to spend time with a GPO like that! Also, great to hear about the cloud sponges and warbonnets. So does anyone know what change is transpiring to the sponges? I would assume they are dead, but is that true?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

So both cloud sponges are brown and dead ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

H2O, last time I was there. All three were brown and dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Sad .... Stuff
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen