NYE South Sound Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

NYE South Sound Dive

Post by Nwbrewer »

Well, after letting my poor scooter sit in the corner of the garage for a disturbingly long time due to a dead battery, (and not diving as much) I finally bit the bullet, upgraded the electronics, built a PTB converter, and put 2 12ah Milwaukee 18volt packs in it. It took a while so sort out the weighting, since the PTB conversion puts one entire battery aft of the retaining ring, but I got it to where it was reasonable. Today I got to take it out for a maiden voyage, and I have to say, it's great to be back to the Zoom Zoom life!

Nothing special, just a shallow muck dive on Pickering Passage, but still managed to see a few cool critters.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/EkzgLT_cHrw[/youtube]

Anybody want to go scootering???

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: NYE South Sound Dive

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool! Glad you're back. I haven't heard of that site. Were those small sea whips at the end before the tritona?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yep, the bottom is covered in them. Up until the wasting syndrome hit, the more rocky areas used to be covered in different species of sea star. It's not really a 'site' so much as it is my front yard, a dive of convenience.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Do you have a separate thread with pics of your PTB adaptor? I have looked at the price and thought about fabricating my own as well. Its half the price of the upgrade. BTW, I have a Cuda 600.
Thanks!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mateo1147 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:56 pm Do you have a separate thread with pics of your PTB adaptor? I have looked at the price and thought about fabricating my own as well. Its half the price of the upgrade. BTW, I have a Cuda 600.
Thanks!
No, I'll try and get them added to the DIY thread later this week. My first cut was to mount some blocks into the tube with velcro, that proved insufficient, so I wound up basically ripping off the DiveX design, but making it out of HDPE. I bought the battery adapter blocks from someone on Amazon making 3D printed ones. I'm not sure about the long term strength of these, but they were cheap enough that if they eventually show signs of cracking, I can replace them.