I-90 bridge (lake washington) 29-Mar-2020

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
iotium
Frequent Bubbler

I-90 bridge (lake washington) 29-Mar-2020

Post by iotium »

The wife/buddy and I wanted to try and find a site that wouldn't be too crowded on a sunny sunday so we went to the I-90 bridge. Parking lot was closed, but there was a sign saying that the park was open so we just parked on the street nearby. Water was a refreshing 45 F and visibility was around 10-15ft. This was our second attempt diving this site, and we were much more successful with our navigation this time.

We swam to the south piling at the east end of the west high rise (3rd piling from shore), dropped, and followed a line E to the bridge. There's also a line from that piling going W towards shore that we followed on our way back.

There weren't that many critters about, but we did see lots of small shrimp that were 0.5-1" long, some snails, mussels/clams, and a handful of fish. The fish were acting funny and might have been resting/sleeping/hibernating or something. Here's a short video of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDlkCBAjUY

Without out a doubt one of the creepiest dives I've done with low visibility and large post-apocalyptic-looking structures randomly looming out of the dark. You can feel it in your gut when trucks drive by on the bridge above you, adding to the ambiance.
GOPR2523.JPG
GOPR2498.JPG
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: I-90 bridge (lake washington) 29-Mar-2020

Post by Gdog »

Interesting photos and video. And yes, I agree, spooky! Thanks for sharing!
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

cOOl
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

ive done the bridge several times ... its a good work out surface swimming to the concrete support .. the dive is dark and spooky with lots of stuff to see. i have found 2 good bottles there for my collecting habit, I always get the crap scared out of me from the Loud Booms ... They come outta no where and unpredictable during the dive.. thanks for report !
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

we found a 1957 license plate there a few years ago.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.