Keystone Jetty 2020/06/13 and 15

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Keystone Jetty 2020/06/13 and 15

Post by derekcs »

Finally got back in the water after spending three months dry. 2 tanks on Saturday and Tuesday.

The site was crowded on Saturday with both divers and boaters. I parked off to the side by the boat dock to keep my distance from people gearing up. It seemed like people weren't strictly sticking to a 5-person group limit, but it wasn't a clusterbleep either. And maintaining distance wasn't hard entering the water. Tuesday, dlh and I had the site to ourselves. There was even a young bald eagle hanging out on the jetty. Pickles was closed on Tuesday, but there was a long line of people waiting to get takeout on Saturday. I recommend ordering online and picking up when it's ready. Overall, I didn't have much cause for anxiety either day.

As for the diving, it didn't disappoint! Viz was maybe 15ft on Saturday. The water was greener and cloudier on Tuesday, <10 ft for sure. Currents were nothing on the first dive each day but strong on the second dive. I spent maybe 5 minutes on the pilings before heading back to the jetty on Saturday and didn't bother Tuesday. The rock of life was covered in more kelp than on my last dive in March. Not as many critters on it. But I found a big male scalyhead sculpin on it that was very photogenic. Elsewhere, I saw more scalyhead sculpins that were very cooperative. Mosshead warbonnets. Longfin sculpin. Tons of mating red rock crabs and a pair of mating helmet crabs. Hudson's dorid and clown nudibranch. Big ling cod. On Tuesday, I ran into a couple red rock crabs tearing apart the remains of a buffalo sculpin.

These were also my first dives with my new Backscatter MF-1 strobe, which replaced the second Ikelite DS-161 strobe I usually carry. I need to try a dive with the MF-1 as my sole strobe to get a better feel for it, but I really liked the results I got so far. I did supermacro (105mm + Nauticam SMC-1 diopter) both days and needed a lot of light given the small aperture. So the MF-1 was on or just below max power the whole time.

Hope to see you all from a safe distance while wearing face masks soon.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Keystone Jetty 2020/06/13 and 15

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic post Derek!!!

Nice work on that Warbonnet! Cool you got a new strobe. I hope you can test it out more soon. :)

Did you find the baby lumpies on the line?

Thanks for the update on pickles. We did takeout there Monday on the way home from DP.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Excellent shots! Welcome back to the water. That warbonnett shot is incredible. Keep us (me) updated on your MF-1 strobe usage. I am thinking about finally getting strobes for my TG-6 and that is definitely on my research list. I probably should have picked one up during the covid sale...
Party underwater
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Derek and I both did the keystone dive together last week and had a great time. We had both recently picked up the Backscatter MF-1 ministobe and took them on the dive. The really interesting thing about this strobe is that it is custom designed for use with a really nice and compact Snoot. I used it on several shots below. I've used a few different snoots in the past and this is by far the best setup I've seen yet. The aiming lights are precise and the whole rig is small enough to easily point and adjust. I'm just getting use to it but I go several pretty nice images with it.

Clown Nudibranch closeup
Clown Nudibranch closeup
Snoot shot of tiny 5mm long Grunt Sculpin
Snoot shot of tiny 5mm long Grunt Sculpin
Mosshead Warbonnet
Mosshead Warbonnet
Snoot shot of an alabaster nudibranch
Snoot shot of an alabaster nudibranch
Dave
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Nice work Dave! Those are beautiful!! The baby grunt is so CUTE!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Here are some of my snaps from a few Keystone away missions... It's basically a baby fish nursery these days! Highly adorable critters on the loose :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Attachments
Red baby lumpy
Red baby lumpy
Super tiny baby Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker
Super tiny baby Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker
Baby red gunnel
Baby red gunnel
Baby Mosshead Warbonnet
Baby Mosshead Warbonnet
Baby sculpin
Baby sculpin
Baby painted Greeling
Baby painted Greeling
These guys are everywhere on the kelp right now
These guys are everywhere on the kelp right now
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Beautiful pics everyone! Love the lumpy shots, Scuba Jess!! :taco: :joshsmith: :luv: