Massive Anchor at Fort Flagler

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
60south
Pelagic

Massive Anchor at Fort Flagler

Post by 60south »

Had a wonderful dive at Ft. Flagler yesterday. 25+ vis, lots of rockfish and cod, old medicine bottles, more live ammunition (30-06, circa WWI), and this massive anchor in the video, with probably 100ft of heavy chain.

The video starts at the top of the anchor where I brush some silt off a massive shackle, and the fluke are about 6ft high. If you know any history behind this please post it here. Also looks like there are several large cables wrapped around the anchor, perhaps from submarine nets.

1-minute video
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Massive Anchor at Fort Flagler

Post by oldsalt »

Sixty: You continue to amaze me. I watched the video several times and can't determine what kind of anchor it is. It looks like it is stockless, but the fluke doesn't match the "patent" anchor which was the navy standard for the last century. The shank appears to have a square cross-section. Is that right? Cool find.
-Curt :rawlings:
Last edited by oldsalt on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be alive.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

oldsalt wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:02 pm Sixty: You continue to amaze me. I watched the video several times and can't determine what kind of anchor it is. It looks like it is stockless, but the fluke doesn't match the "patent" anchor which was the navy standard for the last century. The shank appears to have a square cross-section. Is that right? Was the chain the stud link type or regular links? Cool find.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice... Save some Bottles for me to find ... 😀
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen