Sekiu 3/12/21

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Sekiu 3/12/21

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy All
ScubaJess and I went to Sekiu on Friday, to see how it has fared as compared to Salt Creek. For those unfamiliar with the site, it is out near the northwestern tip of Washington, and is more exposed to ocean waves. It took us about 4 hours to get out there so it's quite the haul!

I'm excited to report that it looks good! ...Things look about the same as when I dove there in the fall. Lots of kelp, lots of inverts, etc. This time we also saw a big octo and 2 secret endangered molluscs won't mention! We didn't see the rock greenling though :( Viz was a bit milky especially in the shallows.

Here were some of the snaps:
DSC_9989.jpg
DSC_0724.jpg
DSC_0590.jpg
DSC_0531.jpg
DSC_9851.jpg
DSC_0509.jpg
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0374.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0618.jpg
Do be aware that although this is a shallow site, it is not a beginner site... kelp, surge, waves and low visibilty can often be issues. The beach entry/exit can often be tricky as often there's a steep ledge of soft sand in about 1-3 feet of water, which is hard to step up on. Keep your regs in your mouths for entry and exit!

Can't wait to go back!
Last edited by YellowEye on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Sekiu 3/12/21

Post by Jan K »

Great report with great pics.
Thank you for taking time to do this.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Looks great Eric!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Beautiful pics and report!! Especially like the two anemones in the foreground, and Scuba Jess - you’re the best dive model!!! :joshsmith:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Was so much fun diving with you. I love Sekiu, it's so beautiful up there :luv: :eric: :partydance:

Fantastic snaps :notworthy: :popcorn:

Here are a few of mine :)
Attachments
Beautiful spot to dive
Beautiful spot to dive
Nudibranch floating in space
Nudibranch floating in space
Jellyfish Reflections
Jellyfish Reflections
I love the kelp
I love the kelp
Surf anemones
Surf anemones
Red Eye Medusa Jellyfish
Red Eye Medusa Jellyfish
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Jess, You are an artist.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks Curt & Val!!! ❤❤❤☺
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

OK - that "Jellyfish Reflections" is awesome and should be entered in a contest!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
zenilt
Getting To Know Folks

Post by zenilt »

Hi! My buddy and I are planning to go Sekiu with 8 fully loaded nitrox tanks and stay there over a night or two, we saw this place: www.curleysresort.com
Any recommendations?
Also I'm not sure if we need to pick a date with no strong winds? I understand current is not an issue staying close to the kelp, but I'm not sure if surge or waves makes it dangerous to enter/exit?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
I usually make sure the tide isn't too low and I usually go on a flood or mild ebb. Waves are best avoided

Those factors can very much limit the number of days you can dive there. This time of year it's not often the stars align.

Entry/exit can be very tough there with waves, and viz will be very poor if there are waves.

Be sure to keep your reg in mouth on exit and entry. There's often a soft steep sand bank that can be tough to step over as you get out, even if there are no waves

Waves that look suitable for entry for swimming may not be suitable with many pounds of gear on, it can be very hard to get up if you tumble. Sometimes if you bite it, it's easier to get back into deeper water and try again. It can all be exhausting...save extra gas for exit in case there's a challenge.

To check for waves, I usually use windy com and ventusky.com and look for no more than 1.1 foot waves throughout the day.

If in doubt on tides and weather, pm me and I can chime in

Even if the forecast looks good, you never fully know til you get there. Be mentally prepared to scratch the dive if needed

I've stayed at curley's ages ago and I had no complaint for a fishing town. It is likely the best place to stay in town.

Have fun, be safe
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
zenilt
Getting To Know Folks

Post by zenilt »

YellowEye wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:35 am Hi!
I usually make sure the tide isn't too low and I usually go on a flood or mild ebb. Waves are best avoided

Those factors can very much limit the number of days you can dive there. This time of year it's not often the stars align.

Entry/exit can be very tough there with waves, and viz will be very poor if there are waves.

Be sure to keep your reg in mouth on exit and entry. There's often a soft steep sand bank that can be tough to step over as you get out, even if there are no waves

Waves that look suitable for entry for swimming may not be suitable with many pounds of gear on, it can be very hard to get up if you tumble. Sometimes if you bite it, it's easier to get back into deeper water and try again. It can all be exhausting...save extra gas for exit in case there's a challenge.

To check for waves, I usually use windy com and ventusky.com and look for no more than 1.1 foot waves throughout the day.

If in doubt on tides and weather, pm me and I can chime in

Even if the forecast looks good, you never fully know til you get there. Be mentally prepared to scratch the dive if needed

I've stayed at curley's ages ago and I had no complaint for a fishing town. It is likely the best place to stay in town.

Have fun, be safe
Wow thanks a lot for that detailed info!!! 👌🏼