Bonaire!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Bonaire!

Post by Vjw »

Had the great fortunate to scuba dive in Bonaire with stphnmartin the last week of July/first week of August this year! We were supposed to go on a 2 week trip to Indonesia (liveaboard then shore diving in Ambon - only place in the world with the psychedelic frog fish!) but coronavirus prevented this travel. A consolation trip was to Bonaire, my first time. The biodiversity and colors aren't as vibrant as the Pacific, but I was thankful to get to travel, given the current state of the world!
We stayed at Buddy Dive and did a package deal including hotel, breakfast, truck, and unlimited shore dives and tank pick-up. Wore a 3 mil wet suit and no gloves. I was impressed with the ease of picking up tanks, driving to one of the many shore sites, and doing a 90+ minute dive almost every time! We did 4 dives most days. Overall, the reefs looked healthy, and the fish were abundant. We saw rays, turtles, squid, blennies, crab, lobster, king parrot fish, and many schools of fish; but alas, no frog fish! Here are some underwater video screen grab views and pics from above the water...
Attachments
Blenny peeking out of an anemone
Blenny peeking out of an anemone
After a day of diving...
After a day of diving...
view out of balcony
view out of balcony
Reef Renewal Project - growing coral to 'replant' in the reef
Reef Renewal Project - growing coral to 'replant' in the reef
Lobster in foreground; Stephen videoing
Lobster in foreground; Stephen videoing
wide-eyed pufferfish
wide-eyed pufferfish
Barracuda looking for a cleaning station
Barracuda looking for a cleaning station
School of Yellowtail Snappers at Salt Pier
School of Yellowtail Snappers at Salt Pier
Fish on eggs at Salt Pier
Fish on eggs at Salt Pier
Eel saying hello
Eel saying hello
Foureye Butterfly Fish and reef
Foureye Butterfly Fish and reef
Banded Butterfly Fish and reef
Banded Butterfly Fish and reef
Three squid
Three squid
Friendly iguana
Friendly iguana
Last sunset there
Last sunset there
View from plane, leaving Bonaire
View from plane, leaving Bonaire
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Bonaire!

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report. Sounds like a real fun trip . Can't wait to see more videos too ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ––๐Ÿคฟ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฆ๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿ“ธ๐ŸฆŽ
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
SEAriously
Avid Diver

Post by SEAriously »

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I can think of many worse places to be than Bonaire!

Wonderful trip from the sounds of it (and the beautiful photos). So glad you guys got to do this. How was the traveling given all the new rules?
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

Great pics, thanks for sharing! We loved it when we went and will definitely go back sometime! Salt pier was one of our favorites :) Did you check out the donkey sanctuary?
we got no troubles life is the bubbles
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

sabrisi wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:15 pm Great pics, thanks for sharing! We loved it when we went and will definitely go back sometime! Salt pier was one of our favorites :) Did you check out the donkey sanctuary?
We saw wild donkeys when driving around but didn't go by donkey sanctuary specifically. Also saw flamingos! Salt Pier was amazing! :joshsmith:
Last edited by Vjw on Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Tangfish wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:16 am I can think of many worse places to be than Bonaire!

Wonderful trip from the sounds of it (and the beautiful photos). So glad you guys got to do this. How was the traveling given all the new rules?
It wasn't too bad - had to get PCR covid tested within 72 hours of going, upload negative test results, vaccination card, and travel itinerary. Then they verified all of it again when we landed. Bonaire requires another covid test in county 5 days after landing so did that too. Booked through Delta Airlines which was onetime (even early on return flight)! :joshsmith:
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

Vjw wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:48 pm
We saw wild donkeys when driving around but didn't go by donkey sanctuary specifically. Also saw flamingos! Salt Pier was amazing! :joshsmith:
My stepdaughter and I rented a golf cart one afternoon and toodled around the southern part of the island - the flamingo ponds are so cool. Donkey sanctuary in the golf cart was pretty funny - those burros definitely know the sound of the carrot bags!
we got no troubles life is the bubbles
SEAriously
Avid Diver

Post by SEAriously »

Vjw wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:50 pm
Tangfish wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:16 am I can think of many worse places to be than Bonaire!

It wasn't too bad - had to get PCR covid tested within 72 hours of going, upload negative test results, vaccination card, and travel itinerary. Then they verified all of it again when we landed. Bonaire requires another covid test in county 5 days after landing so did that too. Booked through Delta Airlines which was onetime (even early on return flight)! :joshsmith:
Since we also just traveled there as well, here's some updated info... The US is currently listed as "High Risk". Not "Very High Risk" (could they name the categories any more confusingly?!) and does NOT require a Covid Test within 5 days of arrival. But, you'll probably need get one within that time anyway to travel back to the US. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Also, negative Covid test within 48 hours vs 72.