Ed's Fault Boat Dive at Discovery Bay

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Ed's Fault Boat Dive at Discovery Bay

Post by KeithBoll »

Took the boat and went to Ed's Fault, located on Discovery Bay (somewhat near Port Townsend) on Saturday!
This is the first time that I've been here in five years!

Ed's Fault has fantastic structure - it's an underwater atoll that starts at 20 feet deep and runs North to South.
On the North/Northwest side - there is a ledge that goes down to at least 70 feet, with lots of big boulders and rubble.
Continuing south - the structure/rocks and wall are more gradual - mostly at about 30 to 45 feet deep.
This dive site is BIG - it can take at least two dives to cover the entire structure.

Viz was about 20 feet when you were on the structure - not too bad!
I look forward to returning later in the fall/winter when it's clear - the structure looks really cool when you can see more of it from a distance.

Tons of nudis: in fact, I found the largest gathering of clown nudibranchs that I've ever seen on one dive site. I spotted at least a dozen clown nudibranchs - and they were all super large! Lots of other nudis - one could just spend time on nudis and nothing else and have a lot of entertainment under water.

Also - lots of fish: including an irish lord, china rock fish and all the usual species.

I have seen a lot of octos at this dive site previously - I'd like to spend a little more time checking for the usual dens.

All in all - a really good dive at a place that rarely sees divers. (There is no mooring buoy - you have to know where the site is to dive it.)
Attachments
Clown Nudi on Kelp Discovery Bay (1 of 1).jpg
Clown Nudi Close Up at Discovery Bay (1 of 1).jpg
Clown Nudi at Attention Discovery Bay (1 of 1).jpg
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Ed's Fault Boat Dive at Discovery Bay

Post by Tangfish »

Very cool, and that last pic looks like the nudi is posing for a profile photo!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sounds awesome, would love to check it out sometime. And yeah, that last photo is a sweet pose!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great report and pics Keith! Good to see you out there again!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Awesome pics and report! I hope we can dive with you soon 🤡👽🐌😻
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: