Viz Clearing Up on Hood Canal!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Viz Clearing Up on Hood Canal!

Post by KeithBoll »

The last couple weeks - viz on Hood Canal has been improving.
Yesterday - Flagpole presented a good 40 feet Viz. When viz is this clear - it is so cool to see more of the structure (all at the same time). The amount of schooling rock fish is also pretty cool to watch and take in! At Elephant Wall - viz today was at least 35 feet - in that at 35 deep, I could easily see the surface of the water.
I cannot remember a time when so many octo dens populated on these sites. It's really fun to go visit the dens and see what everyone is up to. And - I keep finding more. A den at Elephant Wall that I had not visited for quite a while (it's at 95 to 100 feet deep), just had the female pass away. Sad to see the female octo cycle of life end. Speaking of the cycle of life - fish are all around the GPOs with eggs. They are just waiting for they day to snack on baby octos. Wish there was a "fish repellant" to use to keep those baby octos safe.
Attachments
IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1737.jpg
Nudi on the Flagpole Rope (1 of 1).jpg
Nudi Exploring at Elephant Wall (1 of 1).jpg
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Clearing Up on Hood Canal!

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool! Nice pics and report!

Btw if you see a dead mom, do look around for babies in a nearby den. Hatching can continue for a while after the mom dies, albeit usually much more slowly. If you find just the eggs, try looking close and/or fanning them gently.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Thanks for the advice, Eric - I will be sure to look around. I didn't realize or think that babies not already hatched might survive the Mom.

Keith
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very cool report! Man, I love the canal.