Roatan Dive Accident

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Roatan Dive Accident

Post by dwashbur »

We lost a diver last night. Details are still sketchy, but he and his family were on a night dive when he started having distress. He tried to surface while blinking his light but seems to have lost consciousness on the way up. His wife came up screaming for help and the security boat was there in less than two minutes. We knew they would be coming back to the main dock so Kathy, at least one EMT, and I headed down there to see what we could do. I saw the boat coming in and saw someone in it doing chest compressions, so as quick as we hauled the victim off the boat we kept CPR going. AED was no good, he was in a different kind of arrest, plus he had severe pulmonary edema. By the time we got him on the dock to continue compressions he was already turning blue, but we all did our ding-bustedest for as long as possible. Still, it wasn't enough and he expired at the local hospital. Prayers and good thoughts for his family. I cannot imagine what they must be going through right now.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Roatan Dive Accident

Post by ScubaJess »

That is so sad! I'm so sorry to hear this! Sending hugs!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Shoot :( Thank you so much for your efforts!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

That's rough. Take comfort in knowing that you all gave him the best chance he could have had.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. Im so sorry to hear this. Thank you for doing all you could possibly do.